Ford Taurus The long running mid sized sedan offering sure footed front wheel drive and a roomy interior.

96 Ford Taurus Not starting, Relay Problems?

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2014, 09:21 AM
Question 96 Ford Taurus Not starting, Relay Problems?

Hello,
So I purchased this car used 4 weeks ago
These guys I got it from seem to be accustomed to doing things the "bootleg" way on their cars I have since realized
When these people installed the radio/AC/defroster controls + some speakers and an amp in the trunk for me I noticed the remote to unlock the doors etc stopped working.
The door ajar noise started happening when the key was not in the ignition.
And the lights in the door panels (illuminating the window controls etc) stay lit when the car is locked with no key in the ignition etc
I assume this means they crossed some wires when installing the speakers or the amp?

Anyway recently the starter went bad so that was replaced. The day the used starter was installed I drove it home. I stopped to put in gas and when starting the car to leave the engine made a crazy noise after starting that continued until I attempted to turn the car off. I turned the key all the way back, but this noise continued although it got softer. I then turned the key back into starting position and then then engine stopped making crazy noise and resumed normal running function. I then drove the car home (about 15 mins) and during the drive the car kind of lurched a little twice (the lights would dim and the car would slow a little).

The next day the car wouldn't start.Wouldn't even attempt to turn over, no noise just a click when the key is turned I think. No ignition lights in dash, but all other electrical worked(radio, windshield wipers, etc)

Engine compartment fuse panel diagram 96 Taurus: http://www.justanswer.com/uploads/ch...23313_fus1.gif
Now a few days later I realized the starter fuse was blown (40A maxi fuse in location # 3 on the above diagram, but the ignition fuse in position #5 wasnt blown) so I took out the blown fuse and replaced it with the blower motor fuse from location # 11. Ignition lights came on but the car still wouldnt start. It just made a humming noise that fades after a few seconds when the ignition was turned. AC also still wouldnt work (Blower motor fuse needed for this?)
When I held the key in the start position for a few more seconds longer then normal after a few tries it blew the fuse in location #3 again, but not location #5 (It wont blow if I just try it long enough to see if the engine turns)

I also tried to switch the starter relay but I looked in the spot that it should be in I realized there was nothing there! I noticed there are no prongs in the spot it should be under the tray (like no prongs to hold the relay in place or actually connect it to the engine compartment fuse panel it seems) so that makes me wonder could the starter relay for my car be in the position it is in this diagram?
(http://ww2.justanswer.com/uploads/am...6_173912_1.gif)
Weirdly that is for a 99 taurus, but I imagine the car wouldnt have been driving all this time without a starter relay would it?

Thanks for reading all this