Ford Taurus The long running mid sized sedan offering sure footed front wheel drive and a roomy interior.

98 Ford Taurus Camshaft Position Sensor / Synchronizer Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2005, 10:28 AM
Default 98 Ford Taurus Camshaft Position Sensor / Synchronizer Replacement

I had a code for a bad Camshaft Position Sensor. I found the sensor (buried beneath the cable bundle), I manager to pry up on the cable bundle w/ a screwdriver just enough to unscrew the two 8mm screws holding in the sensor. I replaced the sensor and the codes were reset, but the next time I started the car the light came back on with the same code. I've been told it is likely the Cam Sensor Synchronizer. I've found mixed information, but most things say engine need set #1 at TDC, how do you do this?

The second thing some have said you need an alignment tool, others have said just mark the old part, which is correct? (The alignment tool looks unescessary based on the picture).

Also it seems like the sychronizer is a long vain like assembly? How is this removed with the wiring harness? Is it possible to wiggle it out with the harness pryed out of the way?

Finally, I found MOTORCRAFT PART # DA2089 as "Synchronizer Assy: SEFI (Distriutorless Ignition) #F8DZ12A362AA" is this the actual part I need?

I can't really find a walkthrough on replacing this part, although it seems like a lot of people need to replace it.

I'm also getting a SECONDARY AIR INTAKE failture code? I've never heard of this? What could it be?
Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks.