Ford Taurus The long running mid sized sedan offering sure footed front wheel drive and a roomy interior.

I sure can't explain this.....

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2008, 07:48 PM
Default I sure can't explain this.....

My 97 Vulcan w/107Kmiles had some idle problems due to crud build up on the throttle body. I'd asked here what to clean it with because it has a sticker on it warning you not to use cleaning solvent because you'll remove the coating. It was suggested that I get special throttle body cleaner, so I bought a can of CRC. The label said it was made for coated throttle bodies, and it worked great. Now my idle is perfect again.

The part I can't explain is---my Taurus has had spark knock at partial and full throttle for the last 2 years. I'd tried a couple of different brands of combustion chamber cleaner, but not much help. Since I cleaned the throttle body about 2 months ago, it hasn't had ANY spark knock. I'm not compaining, but I can't explain it either. Any ideas?
[align=left] [/align]

Old 03-25-2008, 07:39 AM
Default RE: I sure can't explain this.....

Most spark knock is usually caused by carbon build up on the piston and cylinder head area. I would suspect that the cleaning of your throttle body got enough cleaner into the cylinders to softenup the carbon build-up and allow enough of it to be burned away thus eliminating the spark knock.

Old 07-20-2008, 07:54 PM
Default RE: I sure can't explain this.....

Try SeaFoam. Follow the can's instructions for sucking it into the engine via a vacuum line. I did this on my 06 Freestar when it was running a little rough and it seemed to level things outa little. You can also dump a can of it into a full tank of gas.

Jack