Ford Taurus The long running mid sized sedan offering sure footed front wheel drive and a roomy interior.

ford taurus accelerates on its own at stop light

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2009, 05:16 PM
Default ford taurus accelerates on its own at stop light

Today, the strangest thing happened to me. I have a 95 ford taurus. I was stopped at a light with my foot on the brake and suddenly I heard a kind of a clunking noise from under the hood, almost like the fan was engaging but it was louder, suddenly the car began to accelerate as if the gas pedal was buried to the floor. It caught me off guard so I put the car in park and of course then it was really reving and then I put it back in drive with the foot on the brake obviously and it still lurched forward and squealed out. I then shut the igintion off and restarted the car and it was fine. What would cause this????
I have had some air conditioning problems lately, but surely that is in no related to this problem?? Any advice or help would be appreciated.

Martin

Old 09-13-2022, 09:16 PM

Today I was driving a 1995 Ford Taurus and when I put it in park the engine started revving up on its own. The tachometer was climbing to 3000 RPM. When I put it in drive it quickly lurched forward then went back to 1000 RPM. This happened again about an hour later only when I engaged the Parking gear! I turned the motor off for my next few deliveries when parking and now it has subsided. What in tarnation!?
I run it for many hours at a time as I deliver all over the city and suburbs.

Old 09-14-2022, 10:07 AM

There were quite a few reports of acceleration problems back with those years and one of the results was a program installed in the vehicle computer called brake over acceleration. If that condition appeared when the brakes were applied the engine speed would automatically slow down.
You might want to look into that.