Ford Taurus The long running mid sized sedan offering sure footed front wheel drive and a roomy interior.

Intermittent Fuel Pump Problem

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2007, 04:40 PM
Default Intermittent Fuel Pump Problem

I have a 2000 Taurus, 104K miles, 3.0 DOHC engine, auto trans.

This situation has happened to me 4 times within the past 7 weeks, and seems to occur at random.

The problem (so far) typically occurs after a short drive (approx 5 miles), and after the car has sat for at least a few hours (as when driving home from work or shopping). I'll stop to pick up my mail at the apartment complex, shutting off the car for about 1-2 minutes. Then as I'm driving away, the engine dies and will crank but not start as if out of fuel. After letting the car sit for about 30 minutes or more, it will start and run normally. I have determined that after the engine dies, thefuel pumpis not running, as I cannot hear it run-up when the ignition is turned on. When I do hear the fuel pump run-up, the engine starts fine. I have subsequently replaced the fuel filter and fuel pump relay (in fuse box under hood) and it would seem the only thing left is the fuel pump itself. I took it to a dealerand they were no help, since their diagnostic machine didn't see a fault code. I am hesitant to replace the fuel pump ($600 job!) unless I know for sure that this is the culprit and will solve the problem. Also, this does NOT happen only on very hot days, and the car has always had at least 1/2 tank of fuel when it occurred (these always seem to be suggested causes).

Is there anything else that could cause an intermittent fuel pump failure? It seems to me that if the fuel pump were bad, it would be more obvious and just stop running for good.

Old 10-20-2007, 06:36 PM
Default RE: Intermittent Fuel Pump Problem

I would replace the fuel pump. Then motor is overheating itself while you are driving and when you shut it off it gets stuck as it cools down it starts moving aginn and then you are able to start the car. replace the fule pump. you should be able to just replace the pump and not the whole sending unit pump assembly .. this is a easy jub that you could do yourself at home in about 2 hours or less. depending on your tools.

Old 10-20-2007, 07:56 PM

I'm pretty sure replacing the fuel pump involves dropping the tank, so I can't replace it myself since I live in an apt complex. I guess what I'd like is confirmation that someone has seen this type of problem before and that replacing the pump cured it. What's baffling is that if the pump were seizing due to heat buildup, then shouldn't it have this problem at all times, especially long trips? I've never had the problematany other time except after making the short trip home and shutting the engine off for 1-2 minutes, then restarting. And it can go weeks without doing this before happening again.

Old 10-31-2007, 11:52 PM

try this put in a bottle of marvel mystery oil in your next tank. after the tank is gone put in a bottle of stp complete fuel system cleaner which also has lubricant for the fuel pump. its less than fifteen bucks for both and it worked several times for my buddy who is a mechanic. thing is stuck from gunk. try it its cheap enough....cant hurt and it has worked fine for four customers.

Old 12-01-2007, 02:14 PM

Update........ Looks like it was the fuel pump after all. Had it replaced several weeks ago and haven't had a problem yet. I don't mind spending the money for a fuel pump, but just wanted to be sure it was the right solution. After determining that there was power going to the fuel pump even when the problem existed, I was pretty sure it must be the pump. My guess is that there's a pressure sensor in the pump that cycles on/off the motor that must have been going bad. Does this sound right to any knowledgeable Ford mechanics out there?

So...... I'm good to go, and I hope this will help someone else down the road.
Thanks for everyone's input.[/align]

Old 12-08-2007, 05:15 PM

There are no pressure sensors in the pump itself, but some have sensors to monitor fuel pressure in the fuel rail. Some have driver modules that cycle the pump to keep the proper amount of pressure.