Ford Taurus The long running mid sized sedan offering sure footed front wheel drive and a roomy interior.

need AXODE/AX4S help

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2012, 04:20 PM
Default need AXODE/AX4S help

Looking for assembly diagram for 06/99 Ford Taurus AXODE/AX4S transmission.

Namely looking for the, accumulator spring colors and location (have 2 colorless, 1 yellow, 1 white) and the low intermediate servo spring/s (there were 2 in the case on disassembly 1 colorless and 1 yellow, book only calls for 1 spring to be there).

Someone has been in this transmission before. There is no rear lube tube seal and none in the kit, is this an oversight or has it been redesigned?

Thank you for looking

Old 11-27-2012, 05:26 PM

If the rear lube tube has been removed , a new tube has to be installed or it will not seal properly.
The only info I can come up with at the moment is ; the 3-4 accumulator springs 7G266 are white. They don't show any color for the 1-2 accumulator,but it shows 2 springs
inner 7G326 and outer 7G267. They show N.D. accumulator spring outer 7G300 orange inner7G301 blue
They show only one spring for the low intermediate servo.
I wish I could be of more help, but if no one else comes forward with better info I would suggest that you check with a Ford dealership parts dept. They should be able to tell you which color are for what .
I don't think the tubes come with any kit .They will probably need to be ordered separately. The part # for the rear tube is 7G084
You may wind up ordering the new springs in order to get the info you seek, then they will probably tell you where they go. When you get one that is messed up like the one you have that might be the best path to travel.

Last edited by hanky; 11-27-2012 at 05:30 PM.
Old 11-27-2012, 08:57 PM

Hanky... Thank you for your reply.

The rear tube seal I was referring to is illustrated in the following img. I have found no reference to this other than the manual; if possible a part number would be appreciated.

http://i1322.photobucket.com/albums/...uto/img001.jpg

As for the accumulator springs, this car has the 3.0l engine. The only reference to multiple springs is for the 3-4 accumulator shown here…

http://i1322.photobucket.com/albums/...uto/img002.jpg
however your information is more forthcoming.

What I have found online is…
1-2 Accumulator: -Outer Spring - 3.0L Yellow - Inner Spring - Yellow, Brown / Purple or Pink
3-4 Accumulator: - Outer Spring - Green or White - Inner Spring - Green
Neutral Drive Accumulator: - Outer Spring - Only one made. - Inner Spring - Only one made

This “could” indicate that whoever worked this transmission before put an accumulator spring in the low intermediate servo. Very hard to believe as the “extra” spring (yellow) in question is very strong. You know more than I and any advice you have to offer is accepted.

Old 11-28-2012, 03:09 AM

There was a time I had called down to ATG with a trans problem with an AXODE and somebody stuck in an extra check ball in the valve body it drove me nuts. If possible , give them a call they are very helpful especially since you're working with the help of their manual.

Old 11-29-2012, 12:07 PM

Once again many thanks to hanky.

Between the information you provided and the phone conversation with ATSG we have surmised the previous rebuild must have been done in my area. Not speaking ill of Ford but the parts department in my area is not the place to shop if you don’t have the part number in your hand. Even then they will likely tell you it doest exist.

The rear lube seal is not available from Ford so must have been deemed unnecessary by the previous builder. As for the accumulator springs, my local Ford parts dept told me there are only 3 and all the same part number (laughable).

Conclusion…
Transmission Seal, AXODE/AX4S Rear Lube Tube (3RD DESIG 86383E
Transmission Shift correction package AX0DE S86165E

Order should arrive Monday and I will finally be rid of this headache.

Next on the bench is an MTX-75 rebuild, maybe my next post lol.

Old 11-29-2012, 03:15 PM

Thanks for the update. It's a great feeling when you get it all together and it does what it's supposed to !