Ford Taurus The long running mid sized sedan offering sure footed front wheel drive and a roomy interior.

Replaced Transmission and car keeps braking while driving....please read... help!!!!!

Old 12-15-2011, 02:28 PM
Exclamation Replaced Transmission and car keeps braking while driving....please read... help!!!!!

When i drive and accelerate sometimes even when not accelerating the car stops for a second and then jumps, It feels like the brakes lock up for a second and then the car jumps and if i accelerate when this happens it happens more frequent but if i let off the gas it and accelerate slow it drives ok.

I got my transmission replaced because of this and the problem still presist, just fixed a leak in transmission as well, What can this problem be?

I have no better way to explain this, Other then I cant drive on freeways because at high speeds it happens more frequent the car complete jerks and brakes, one time the car completely shut itself off while driving and all my warning lights came on,then after sitting parked for a few minutes it drove fine.

Im out of funds and ideas, got the new tranny or rebuilt, replaced gasket, new car battery, new coolant tank.

please help

Old 12-15-2011, 02:44 PM

is it impossible to get answers on here?

Old 12-15-2011, 03:00 PM

No , it isn't impossible, but some of the knowledgble folks trying to answer, do work for a living and are not available to answer as soon as you would like. You would rather get an accurate answer worth waiting for wouldn't you?
Could you supply the year and model and any other work that you had done trying to correct the problem?

Old 12-15-2011, 04:18 PM

Its posted in taurus section, so the model is taurus
the year is a 2003, the make is FORD.

Tauruses are crap and I now learned that, Better yet i think fords are crap!

I did place the work that was done

Replaced Transmission
Replaced Vacum hose
Replaced coolant tank
Replaced Car Battery
Had a multipoint inspection = fine
Transmission fluid leak = Fixed

What more can i look into?
Torque converter, Ac compressor?

I learned that the car seems to do this only at high rpms, Yet 20 mechanics i have spoken too are not helpful and cant tell a goats *** from there own.

Nobody can even give me an idea of what this is, hmm guess all those years fixing cars dont mean much for the simple fact you need to rip a car apart to see whats wrong with it, how many more diagnostic fees can one pay?

I will never in my life buy a ford, or a nissan or a jeep, guess ill be switching to jap makes, maybe they can get there crap together

Old 12-16-2011, 09:26 PM

When you state the "the car jerks and brakes", are you meaning that the motor cuts out to idle? And then 'jerks back to life' as if you floored the gas? It would seem unrealistic that the brakes are actually being applied without pushing on the brake pedal. My guess is you may have a computor problem. Have you taken this car to a Ford dealer for help?

Don't be too hard on Ford just yet, all makes can have issues.

Old 12-17-2011, 12:15 AM

I would suspect a fuel issue as the problem as you stated seems to only exist with increased fuel demand. Could be other issues of course, but from what you explained, driving slow is fine but you cant drive on the freeway because it starts bucking could be because your trying to make it go and its starving for fuel. Does the vehicle backfire when this happens? Check your fuel pressure and this is easy to do. Also, its not FORD's fault you cant find a good mechanic and you keep throwing parts at it that it doesnt need. Go ahead, go buy a jap car, when you have issues with it later on down the road, and it costs you a ton of cash for one part that has to get shipped from japan, you wind up in the same boat. Doesnt matter if its a Ford, GM, Toyota, Nissan ANY manufacturer, they all have problems somewhere down the line. Dont blame the manufacturer. Ranting while you ask for help is not going to get you anywhere..

Old 12-17-2011, 04:59 AM

Sometimes it helps to just sit down and take a good look at what is going on.
In looking at your list of things done, I don't see anything like a simple fuel filter change. If you are asking 20 "mechanics" what could be the problem you could possibly get 20 different answers. I see no indication of routine maintenance being done . When was the last time the spark plugs were replaced? Are you planning to do some of the work yourself or having it done by another person/shop?
This is important to know since there are folks here that try to help you help yourself.
I'm sure we all can tell that you are upset, but that doesn't help get the problem corrected.
This is a good site and there are many folks here that have plenty of knowledge and experience so, if you can , be patient and please provide all the info you can . How do you feel about that?

Old 12-21-2011, 04:08 PM

I do what I can for my car, I get oil changes regularly I got a tune up around 6 months ago spark plugs were changed.

I had a crap car before and this is why I dont ignore maintence when it is time for it to be done.

The problem is still there, It happens when the car jumps past 3 rpms
The car jerks what i mean is it feels like the transmission doesnt want to shift when it I accelerate fast and then it does shift after a delay, and after the delay and when it shifts the car turbos in speed, it jumps.

I dunno how to say it, I would record a video but that wouldnt help because without physically being in the vehicle you wont notice it, All i can say is for the mechanics who have looked underneath the car and in the hood of the car there are no visible problems, everything is connected and all the fluids are good, Im thinking its a bad transmission but once mechanic said if the transmission is bad, Then it wouldnt shift normally.

So im out of ideas, However on another note i noticed i usually get 20 mpg on hwy and stuff and i put 6 gallons of regular gas from arco which shoul;d have gave me 120 mpg, which i only got 80 and the gas light was on, maybe i miscalculated or maybe there is a fuel problem

for those of you who do know about cars, what can i look at myself to see if its the problem?

Ac compressor might be locking up? 'Torque converter? Im just not sure
i dont know much about cars but im willing to try and do a fix myself if it doesnt require lots of man power.

Please help thank you.

Old 12-25-2011, 10:47 PM

Have the vehicle scanned for problems.
Quit throwing pieces at it an attempt to make it right.

Old 12-26-2011, 07:59 AM

If there is an Autozone or similar type store you can get to, ask them if they can check your vehicle for any codes. I do know Autozone does this as a service free of charge.
Let us know what codes are obtained. Get the numbers!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Replaced Transmission and car keeps braking while driving....please read... help!!!!!