Ford Taurus The long running mid sized sedan offering sure footed front wheel drive and a roomy interior.

rough idle, smooth drive, help troubleshoot

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2007, 12:29 PM
Default rough idle, smooth drive, help troubleshoot

its a 2000 se auto

the car is difficult to start, idles fairly rough for a while, then begins to act like its gonna die. it revs up and cuts out repeatedly, but ONLY at idle. when the car is on the freeway all is well and it runs smoothly, but at the next stoplight it feels as though it will die.i took it to autozone and they pulled these codes
P0174- bank 2 fuel system too lean
P0171- bank 1 fuel system too lean
P0411- flow detected in secondary air injection system is incorrect

i did my homework and most people pointed at the mass air flow sensor. i removed it and cleaned it, and it was a vast improvement. for a minute.
on my way to work today it started acting up again, but not nearly as bad. the problem ceases to exist with the ac on. ive priced the MAFS through ford and they want 230 with an exchange.

mainly what im asking is:
1. is there a place where i can pick up a refurbished or aftermarket replacement for cheaper??
2. or might there be another culprit??

ive considered replacing the fuel filter, but havent yet
ive considered replacing the 02 sensors, but theres a million of em

HELP!!

Old 07-17-2007, 02:08 AM
Default RE: rough idle, smooth drive, help troubleshoot

it seems the problem is quickly relapsing. on the way to dinner i came to a stop at a red light and the engine began to idle radically again. it cuts down to almost nothing and then jumps back up 12 or 1500 rpms repeatedly. i shifted to neutral and the problem stopped. its behavior wasnt too radical in park either.

part of me thinks it might be a throttle position sensor outta whack , but theres no hesitation or radical acceleration while driving.

this problem has me stumped, and i really dont want to spend 230 on the MAFS if it wont eliminate this problem...

Old 07-19-2007, 09:50 AM

I had a 94 explorer that ran like crap. I unplugged the MAF while running and it didnt change a thing. I removed it, cleaned it gently with aclean rag, reinstalled it, and it ran alot better. Maybe it will help but doesn't seem to me that is the problem. Unsure what else it might be but others on here just may.

Old 07-19-2007, 09:53 PM

i'm not sure if this will help but i have a 97 taurus and i had a simular problem w/ my car idling too high and i took my car to ford and they had to replace the imrc....ignition modeule runner control. try taking it to a ford dealership.....they found my problems w/ my car....hope that helped!

Old 08-15-2007, 06:56 PM

you might have a vacume leak, i had similiar symptoms until i replaced every elbow and airhose.

Old 08-20-2007, 09:54 AM

I have a 2001 24V SES with the same problem. I replaced the MAFS sensor and it did wonderful for about 30 minutes. Now it is doing the same thing, with the emmissions light on.

Could it possibly be the IAC (Idle Air Control Valve)?

If you get the answer, please post. Inquiring minds need to know.

Thanks

Old 08-20-2007, 09:56 AM

By the way, I bought the MAF sensor at Auto Zone for 129.99. It did come with a 1 year warranty.

Old 08-23-2007, 01:17 PM

I found the problem!

There is a 90 degree elbow type hose located under the IAC. The hose is approx. 1" - 1 1/4" on one end with a spring type clamp, and the other end is 1/2" - 5/8". It is a pain to get to the part. Mine had a small break allowing toomuch air into the system. 26.99 + tax from Ford (OEM part), and now all is well.

Hopefully this will help others. Good luck!