Ford Taurus The long running mid sized sedan offering sure footed front wheel drive and a roomy interior.

Taurus 2005 compressor clutch engaging too frequently?

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2010, 10:56 AM
Default Taurus 2005 compressor clutch engaging too frequently?

I had my Taurus 2005 serviced on June 18 for a compressor problem and the dealer replaced the a/c compressor with a new one.
Everything seemed normal until yesterday (28 June) when I started noticing the compressor clutch engaging more frequently than usual, while driving, not on idle. It engages every 15-20 seconds, something that did not happen last week. It is cooling normally (actually is cooling great!) but the noise gets annoying especially because you can hear it with the radio turned on.
I took it to the Ford dealership this morning (29 June), to have it checked and while they were able to see the compressor clutch engaging as I said it was, they said it was normal operation. They also said that the compressor clutch engages every 15-40 seconds, and that this will eventually let up as it breaks in, since it’s new.
So the question is – Is the dealership’s response accurate? Is it normal for a compressor clutch to engage every 15 seconds and will it eventually let up? How come it’s acting this way now and not a week ago?
This is my first post, so please be gentle

Old 07-01-2010, 10:59 AM

My thoughts...

A compressor that constantly engages and dis-engages evey 15-40 seconds is showing possible LOW CHARGE or plugged orifice symptoms.

Why was the compressor replaced?

Black death? If so, was the condensor replaced? Was the orifice replaced? Was the dryer/receiver replaced? Was the remaining system flushed?

These items should always be performed for a BLACk DEATH compressor failure.

The dryer/reciever should always be replaced any time an A/C system is opened for any repair.

As far as charging, a borderline low charge will still cool good, but will hammer the compressor/clutch due to too much cycling. Also, you should not be able to hear the compressor cycling with the radio on unless the volume is barely turned up.

You could also have a faulty HIGH or LOW pressure switch causing the too frequent cycling.

Note: A restricted orifice will usually show as very low suction side pressure and lower than normal high side pressure. When the compressor kicks in, the suction against the restricted orifice will cause the compressor to quickly cycle out. After compressor disengagement, the rise in suction side pressure will usually be very slow. Rapid compressor disengagement and slow engagement may indicate a clogged orifice. A clogged orifice tube will starve a compressor of oil causing compressor failure in short order.

There's more info than what can be typed here. See my other A/C posting responses to gather additional information.

Old 07-01-2010, 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by Use Common Sense
Why was the compressor replaced?

Black death? If so, was the condensor replaced? Was the orifice replaced? Was the dryer/receiver replaced? Was the remaining system flushed?

These items should always be performed for a BLACk DEATH compressor failure.

The dryer/reciever should always be replaced any time an A/C system is opened for any repair.
The Correction text from the service dept. reads as follows: “ Performed A/C diagnosis, replaced leaking A/C Compressor Assy & Manifold line, recharged/retested all Ok, No leaks found”
On the parts section:
Replaced A/C connection and o-rings or gaskets

Replaced the compressor assembly-air conditioner
Replaced the manifold and tube assembly-suction and discharge
Parts replaced – Compressor asy, Tube-compressor TO, Oil-compressor-a, r134a a/c refrigerant
There was no mention of black death or any of its symptoms on the service record.

I'm not a mechanic and don't intend to be one, but something is definitely off. The first time I noticed the noise, I parked my car at home and opened the hood. Every time I pushed the gas, the clutch activated immediately (I could see the clutch part coming out) or after less than 10 seconds making a short "rattle" kind of noise. It doesn't look or sounds like the compressor is sending anything to the condenser, it's just making that noise every now and then as well as the normal engaging noise every other minute. As I said in my original message. The mechanic at the service dept. was able to recreate the exact same thing I'm describing here, and he indicated this was normal behavior for a new compressor, and that it will eventually let up. So it means that he recognized the noise is there, but in his opinion it is normal. What I want to know is, is it really normal? I don't want to escalate this at the dealership if not necessary, I value my time as much as everyone else, but this is really bugging me. I'm planning to take my car to another auto service to have a second opinion, but I would like to see if I have a valid complain here, is this a symptom of something else or is this noise something that will eventually go away?
Thank you for your insight.

Old 07-02-2010, 07:17 AM

Since the compressor was replaced for leaking, then the orifice would not need replacing.

However, the compressor should not be noisy or cycling on and off every few seconds. It should come on and run for several minutes to almost constant while bringing the cabin temperature down to the set temperature. The only time a compressor would make a rattling sound is after setting for several hours due to some oil and freon settling into the compressor. This will cause the compressor to rattle a little for a couple of seconds on start-up due to trying to compress partial fluid. After this, the compressor should be pretty much quiet. I would take it to a reputable A/C service and have them check it out. The cost would be worth it to me.