Ford Taurus The long running mid sized sedan offering sure footed front wheel drive and a roomy interior.

Tires wearing prematurely

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2012, 03:34 PM
Default Tires wearing prematurely

I have always had trouble with the alignment on my 2001 Taurus. I have had 2 different dealers do alignments and one year later, I need new tires. The dealers would take no responsibility. I tried a different shop who seemed to be able to keep the tires from wearing early. Now he tells me I need struts which is preventing him from aligning the car. Hmmmmmmm. I talked to other mechanics who tell me struts are not the problem. I have been told today that the spot welds need to be drilled out in order to adjust the camber. An internet site states that on front wheel drive cars, camber is not adjustable. I just need to know what is the correct approach.

Old 06-23-2012, 08:28 PM

Where are the tires wearing, inside, outside ?

Old 06-25-2012, 09:35 AM

It is true that most front wheel drive cars with McPherson struts allow only toe-in alignment right from the factory. However, crafty people come up with ways to do the other angles anyway. But first you need to know what exactly the problem is and how bad it is.

I would go to a shop other than the dealer and ask them to give you a read out of all alignment points (toe, camber, caster) and a list of the factory specs. From here you can come up with a strategy.
Let's say the camber is off, you may find that the use of an excentric "crash bolt" may bring it back to specification.
There are also camber/caster plates for many cars (maybe not for the Taurus) used in racing which should allow you to get the alignment back.

This Taurus has some age and therefore history. There may have been some hefty bumps against curbs or worse. If there was a major crash in the history of this vehicle it may be necessary to straighten the unibody in a collision shop.

It is quite possible that the struts and other suspension parts are worn so much that they add to tire wear. Are there any noises coming from the front suspension?

Last edited by bluewind; 06-25-2012 at 09:37 AM.