Ford Taurus The long running mid sized sedan offering sure footed front wheel drive and a roomy interior.

is this a torque converter problem?

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2007, 11:54 AM
Default is this a torque converter problem?

My 2001 DOHC sometimes stalls when it is shifted into drive. It also stalled once when pulling out from a traffic light. The first time it happened it seemed like it went in drive if it was put in reverse first, but that may have been a coincidence because 2 weeks later it took 3 tries to put it into drive and it stalled the first 2 tries, then it went on the third (without using reverse).

Friend said may be the torque converter is sticking and that is why it is not happening all the time. I am scared it is the trans. Letting Ford do their "diagnostic" thing next week. The stalling happened on two times, 2 weeks apart.

COuld this be what someone called a torque lockup solenoid? Does that mean it is not the whole torque converter? I had read that replacing a torque converter is expensive business. WOuld a sticking, on occassion, torque converter (or solenoid part) cause it to sometimes stall when placed in drive? COuld it stall when given gas to pull out after trafic light. (it only did that once). It is not happening a lot, but enough to worry me. I was told that if it sticks too much it could do more damage.