Ford Taurus The long running mid sized sedan offering sure footed front wheel drive and a roomy interior.

transmission won't shift to OD when cold

Old 11-11-2008, 02:25 PM
Default transmission won't shift to OD when cold

I just got my 07 Taurus back from the Ford dealerafter having the rear main seal replaced. They had to remove the transmission to do this. Thenext morning when I drove it to work it was 20 degrees and the car wouldn't shift into OD. At 55 mph it was at 2200 rpm instead of it's normal 1900. After it warms up (about 5-7 miles from home), it shifts perfectly fine. Even when it's cold all the other gears shift fine. My first thought was low fluid. It was a little low so the mechanic at the dealer topped it off but this morning it still would notshift into OD when it's cold.After a couple highway miles at 55 mph and 2200 rpm, it warms enough so it shifts and the rpm's go back to 1900-2000.

I bought the car in July so I hadn't drivenit in cold weather prior to having the rear main replaced so I don't know if the problem happened when the transmission was removed or if itthe weatherhadn't been cold enoughto see the problem.

Does anyone have any ideas what would cause this to happen when it's cold?? Does anyone else have this problem? My old 90 Taurus shifts into OD fine in cold weather.

Old 11-12-2008, 09:19 PM
Default RE: transmission won't shift to OD when cold

ORIGINAL: green t

I just got my 07 Taurus back from the Ford dealerafter having the rear main seal replaced. They had to remove the transmission to do this. Thenext morning when I drove it to work it was 20 degrees and the car wouldn't shift into OD. At 55 mph it was at 2200 rpm instead of it's normal 1900. After it warms up (about 5-7 miles from home), it shifts perfectly fine. Even when it's cold all the other gears shift fine. My first thought was low fluid. It was a little low so the mechanic at the dealer topped it off but this morning it still would notshift into OD when it's cold.After a couple highway miles at 55 mph and 2200 rpm, it warms enough so it shifts and the rpm's go back to 1900-2000.

I bought the car in July so I hadn't drivenit in cold weather prior to having the rear main replaced so I don't know if the problem happened when the transmission was removed or if itthe weatherhadn't been cold enoughto see the problem.

Does anyone have any ideas what would cause this to happen when it's cold?? Does anyone else have this problem? My old 90 Taurus shifts into OD fine in cold weather.

Hello and good day to you:

Would you please do me a favor??? please allow the car to warm up for about 5 to 7 min's before you starting driving it the next few times???....Do this for the Next 5 to 6 times....and then please write back with what is going on at this point...

Thank you 6

Old 11-15-2008, 09:50 AM

Just got your message this morning and haven't had a chance to try letting the car warm for 5-7 minutes before driving. However I did and experiment of my own and now I'm pretty sure the car is shifting into OD. I put the car in the regular "D" (that doesn't allow OD) and accelerated up to 55 mph and notice that the rpm's were about 2500-2600, much higher than when I had it in the "circled D" and thought it wasn't shifting into OD. When I put it into the "circled D" the rpm's drop to 2200 so the car must have been going into OD. I thought it wasn't because when I watched the tach I could see a clear shift from 1st-2nd, 2nd-3rd, but where I could normally see the torque converter lock (like the mechanic said it would at about 35 mph) and then where it would normally drop 400 rpm when it went into OD, it's not very obvious when it's cold. I can see the tach drop maybe 200 rpm where the torque converter should lock but then it's doesn't drop 400 rpm like it normally does when shifting into OD.

I'm used to having manual transmissions, are the rpm's just higher at whatever speed when the tranny fluid is cold in an automatic? Seems logical that the fluid would be thicker and take more rpm's to push it through. I'm sorry, I'm just stupid about automatics. Other automatics that I have driven didn't have a tach so they probably did the same thing but I didn't notice it.

Old 11-16-2008, 08:08 AM

ORIGINAL: green t

Just got your message this morning and haven't had a chance to try letting the car warm for 5-7 minutes before driving. However I did and experiment of my own and now I'm pretty sure the car is shifting into OD. I put the car in the regular "D" (that doesn't allow OD) and accelerated up to 55 mph and notice that the rpm's were about 2500-2600, much higher than when I had it in the "circled D" and thought it wasn't shifting into OD. When I put it into the "circled D" the rpm's drop to 2200 so the car must have been going into OD. I thought it wasn't because when I watched the tach I could see a clear shift from 1st-2nd, 2nd-3rd, but where I could normally see the torque converter lock (like the mechanic said it would at about 35 mph) and then where it would normally drop 400 rpm when it went into OD, it's not very obvious when it's cold. I can see the tach drop maybe 200 rpm where the torque converter should lock but then it's doesn't drop 400 rpm like it normally does when shifting into OD.

I'm used to having manual transmissions, are the rpm's just higher at whatever speed when the tranny fluid is cold in an automatic? Seems logical that the fluid would be thicker and take more rpm's to push it through. I'm sorry, I'm just stupid about automatics. Other automatics that I have driven didn't have a tach so they probably did the same thing but I didn't notice it.

Hello, and good day:

I am very glad that you found, and resolved this. Good luck, and if you ever need additional help give us a yell......6