Ford Taurus The long running mid sized sedan offering sure footed front wheel drive and a roomy interior.

Vulcan V6 question.

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2012, 08:35 PM
Exclamation Vulcan V6 question.

I just bought a '93 Ford Taurus GL with the 3.0L vulcan in it. The odometer reads ~563k That said, the engine should probably be rebuilt(correct me if Im wrong because I would rather there be a cheaper solution). I have never rebuilt an engine, so I have no clue what it entails. I do have family that know how, but I would rather collect opinions here. My questions are: How long will it take to rebuild this engine and what special tools would I need? Is it worth a rebuild or is there some other things I could do instead that would be cheaper and/or require less skill and/or tools? Could i pull the 5 speed out of an SHO model of the same year and install it? Thanks, for reading, guys. Any and all help/pointers are appreciated.
-Grub

Old 07-28-2012, 08:01 PM

Are there any problems with the motor? If all the sensors are functioning proper,and the motor doesn't use or leak a lot of oil why touch it? The Vulcan engine is nearly bullet proof, I have a '99 with over 260k on the odometer and it purrs right along uses maybe one quart of oil between changes. The challenge is keeping the car around the motor together.

Old 07-28-2012, 08:11 PM

I think lars has a good point.
As far as a rebuild is concerned, some people just open them up and replace certain parts and call it a rebuild.
A complete rebuild may cost more than installing a factory rebuilt engine.
You might want to shop around and get some prices and find what they include or don't !
Sometimes changing a trans away from the original build, can open a can of worms.

Old 08-08-2012, 09:02 PM
Thumbs up

No it runs pretty strong outside of needing a motormount. I also found out from the previous owner that it onl;y has ~110k on the motor and the 563k is on the car itself. I am sorry if this question sounds incredibly noobish, but how do i differentiate between vulcan v6 generations, as i would like to know which one is in my car.

Old 08-09-2012, 01:57 PM

Maybe this will help:Ford Vulcan engine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Also look for number stamped somewhere on the engine block.

Originally Posted by grubbyfoot
No it runs pretty strong outside of needing a motormount. I also found out from the previous owner that it onl;y has ~110k on the motor and the 563k is on the car itself. I am sorry if this question sounds incredibly noobish, but how do i differentiate between vulcan v6 generations, as i would like to know which one is in my car.