Ford Tempo/Probe These small cars offered a sporty feel and affordable price.

91 tempo

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2009, 11:05 PM
twl
Default 91 tempo

i have a friend that hasa tempo that spontaneously dies. it doesnt make any unusal noises idleing or driving, it just dies at random times. it has recently had a new battery and spark plugs installed. it was run out of fuel a few days before this started happening but like i said it starts up and idles fine just dies during driving. any suggestions or ideas????

Old 01-22-2009, 11:23 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: 91 tempo

Welcome to the site..

Sounds like the fuel pump is shutting down.. Listen near the fuel tank position, or in the open fill neck during a stall (if it doesn't immediately restart), then 'bump' the key to the start/crank position and release.. You should hear the pump run for few seconds with a hum/buzz sound.. Or, you can install a fuel pressure gauge and monitor the fuel pressure to see if it drops off from a failing pump..

Also,, the intank fuel pumps need or should have some fuel remaining in the tank to cool the pump.. Running very low, or out continually can shorten the life of the pump...

Old 01-22-2009, 11:37 PM
Super Moderator

Also,, if the car doesn't start after a stall,, to spot check/test the pumprun, have someone turn the key to the ON position, then at the same time strike the bottom of the fuel tank briskly.. If the pump starts, or the car now does if the engine is cranked,, it's on it's way out.. Could be a fuel pump relay, but generally they won't cause a stall, but more often will cause a no start from no power distribution to the pump.. Being the tank was run dry, and now you have a stall issue, I'd look towards the pump..

Be carefull when working around the tank with someone else at the controls...

Old 01-23-2009, 11:52 AM
twl

ok the car has a small problem starting after stalling. i drove it to see what it was doing and it stalled on me three times and only once did i have any real trouble starting it. the other two times it turned over and started fine. so then what you are saying is that i would need to get a new fuel pump and it should run fine???

Old 01-26-2009, 01:28 PM
twl

ok i have another question. could it just be the fuel filter picked up a little bit of something it the bottom of the tank from after being run so low on fuel?