Ford Tempo/Probe These small cars offered a sporty feel and affordable price.

94 tempo first start of day takes repeating cranks

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2008, 02:01 PM
Default 94 tempo first start of day takes repeating cranks

94 tempo, first start of day takes numerous times of starter cranking to start. any other start thru day ok. one noteworthy item of possible cause is the vac tube going to steel exhaust tube is broken off at tube. presently plugged them with screw on both.am not sure on the purpose of this, other than egr system control. last time car was startin like this that hose was off. ideas appreciated as this is for a single mother who I do free work on her car for to help out. 2.3l eng installed. no other particulars known at this time. did suggest to cycle key several times to build up fuel in rail in even of drainback over the nite. no difference. if it is this causing problem is there a way to trick system into starting better by bypassing?

Old 06-29-2008, 12:17 AM
Default RE: 94 tempo first start of day takes repeating cranks

My grandson's 94 Topaz (2.3) was doing the same thing. It was the Mass Air Flow Sensor.

Old 06-29-2008, 03:05 PM

I WILL HAVE TO CHECK IT OUT. ALMOST HATE TO EVEN BREATHE ON IT LET ALONE SPRAY CARB CLEANER ON IT. LOL. CAR IS IN PRETTY SAD SHAPE. IS ODD THO, THIS DOES SAME $$#% THING AS WHEN TUBE CAME OFF LAST TIME, NOW BROKEN. SOON AS IT WAS REATTACHED FIRST START OF DAY WAS FINE. SURE MAKES ME GO HMMMM. IDEAS ANYONE ELSE? THINKIN OF JB WELDING IT BACK ON TO THE TUBE THO.

Old 07-27-2008, 09:12 AM

FYI. JB WELDED THE FITTING BACK ONTO THE PIPE AND REINSTALLED THE TUBE FROM THE , WHAT I PRESUME IS THE EGR CONTROL VALVE. ALSO CLEANED MAF SENSOR. STARTING OK NOW. GO FIGURE...FORDS!!!!!!!!!

Old 07-28-2008, 08:33 AM

Hi there,

That fitting which is located on the egr metal tubing, which is attached to the exhaust manifold, that fitting also broke recently on mine. But i didn't see any difference with the morning cold start situation...only difference was...when accelerating i could heard a leak on the exhaust and i could smell the exhaust from inside. Also when motor was hot, i could somewhat a little less power when accelerating..not sure about this one though..but makes sens cause the egr feedback sensor wasn't receiving any exhaust to calculate...

Old 07-28-2008, 12:18 PM

I recently had a similar problem with my F150. If it sat for more than 8 hours it would be difficult to start, it would crank but not start. Spark was getting to spark plugs, fuel pressure was 30 psi at idle, 40 psi without vacumm, and pressure would hold for 30 or more minutes before any decrease, however, after 8 or more hours it would be close to zero. It started and ran fine once I got it started and had no hesitation or skipping or rough running even at high speeds (80 MPH). I was ready to replace the fuel pump but decided to replace the filter becasue it was easy to do. It fixed the hard starting problem. I also noticed that the fuel pressure comes up to the 30 psi faster than before but still reaches 30 psi at idle and 40 psi without vacuum to the regulator. For $7.50 and a half hour effort its worth a try if you have not already replaced it.