Ford Tempo/Probe These small cars offered a sporty feel and affordable price.

Summer and Winter

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2007, 09:27 PM
Default Summer and Winter

Ok so I have a 91 Probe GL and was looking at the fuses because my heater blower stopped working (anyone know which fuse is for that?) and found something that piqued my interest. Right next to the fuse box are two female connectors with a single wire coming to them and a male connector on that single wire. On the fuse box there is Summer and Winter with arrows pointing to each receptacle. Mine was set to Winter. I wondered about this and asked a few mechanics I know if they had any ideas what it was and got answers ranging from air/fuel mixture change to heater controls (boggle) but nobody seemed sure. Thus in a fit of desperation I moved the plug to Summer and got quite the surprise when I tried to crank up my car. I cranked it up and a friend of mine and I just stared at the windshield with our mouths hanging open because (for some STRANGE reason) the windshield wipers travelled to their farthest away from "home" position (i.e. straight up) and just sat there and that was now where they stopped. Even when I ran the wipers, they just seemed to run in reverse. Now I can see absolutely NO reason for this. Can anyone confirm that is what is supposed to happen? I am scared to find out that it isn't supposed to do that for obvious reasons. I even bought a Haynes manual but it doesn't even mention this (of course). So I am kicking this out for anyone else that may have some wisdom.

Thanks!

Old 03-04-2009, 03:26 PM

The winter summer receptacles are for wiper in the winter they rest high(not straight up) on windshield and below sight in the summer position.