Ford Thunderbird Starting in the 1950s, this was a classic American sports cars, from the compact original of the 1950s, to the muscular hard top coupes of the 1980s and 1990s to the retro look of the 2003 model year, this car is, and always will be, an American classic.

1997 Ford Thunderbird LX 4.6 L

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2009, 12:24 AM
Default 1997 Ford Thunderbird LX 4.6 L

I have had the Anti Lock Brake light on since I bought the car a few months ago.

I work/live in South Korea and the Nearest Dealer is quite some distance from me and has a bad reputation for not wanting to work on any Model of Ford not sold here in country.

The normal computer codes does not cover the Anti Lock braking system, so my code reader will not help there.

Is there any practicle way I can troubleshoot the system without shotgunning the parts which are expensive for the sensors. the light has once or twice (During the rain) turned off and then after a little while turned back on.

If the sensors are the same for all four wheels (assuming four wheel antilock) then I might go ahead and order one on the assumtion that only one is bad.

Thank you for any insight you guys/gals can give me on this.

Frankie

Old 01-12-2009, 12:48 AM
Default RE: 1997 Ford Thunderbird LX 4.6 L

The most common reasons for the light staying on would be: low brake fluid; a bad wheel sensor; a bad anti-lock brake pump. If lucky it would just be low fluid. Go here from some more help. Good Luck!

http://www.albeedigital.com/supercou...bs-system.html

Old 01-12-2009, 10:02 AM
Default RE: 1997 Ford Thunderbird LX 4.6 L

Whoa, I think my knowledge of Antilock Brakes just spiked. Well, I think my Fluid level is fine, also I do not have the Red light on, ony the Amber, but that article has given me some places to poke around. Well, the next time I am in the area of the Ford Dealership, even if they do not like working on my Bird, perhaps they can at least check the ABS Codes for me.

Somehow I have a feeling that it could even be a simple case of a loose or intermittant ABS sensor connection because of the effects that water (Rain) has on the light. Both time the light went off was during the Rain and one time it was off for almost a Day, although it was hard for me to test the ABS system because it was very hard to get the vehicle to go into a skid to make the ABS do its thing. I guess that is what I get for running the P245 GoodYear All Seasons....serious grip...I was surprised.

Well this thread is not going any where, so if I get a final result I will post it here.

Thanks for the information. Sometimes getting that second mind to work really helps with perspective.

Old 07-06-2023, 10:55 AM
Default 25 abs code

Originally Posted by fblevins1
I have had the Anti Lock Brake light on since I bought the car a few months ago.

I work/live in South Korea and the Nearest Dealer is quite some distance from me and has a bad reputation for not wanting to work on any Model of Ford not sold here in country.

The normal computer codes does not cover the Anti Lock braking system, so my code reader will not help there.

Is there any practicle way I can troubleshoot the system without shotgunning the parts which are expensive for the sensors. the light has once or twice (During the rain) turned off and then after a little while turned back on.

If the sensors are the same for all four wheels (assuming four wheel antilock) then I might go ahead and order one on the assumtion that only one is bad.

Thank you for any insight you guys/gals can give me on this.

Frankie
there is an abs port under the hood for the 97 Ford thunderbird lx 4.6 and it's right near the under hood fuse box. However you need an old style scanner to retrieve codes from the vehicle abs module. I have a code 25 and my scanner says it RH front outlet valve problem. I looked it up online and found no results about this code. Still working on finding out what it could be .