Ford Thunderbird Starting in the 1950s, this was a classic American sports cars, from the compact original of the 1950s, to the muscular hard top coupes of the 1980s and 1990s to the retro look of the 2003 model year, this car is, and always will be, an American classic.

1997 Ford Thunderbird Start Problem

Old 11-20-2010, 07:38 PM
Default 1997 Ford Thunderbird Start Problem

I have a '97 Thunderbird. Upon turning the ignition key, the cooling fan begins to run and the car will not start, no matter what you try. After 5-7 minutes the cooling fan shuts off and the car will start. It will then run just fine, you can drive it for as long and as far as you want, no issues. You then shut the car off and when you try to start it again, the cooling fan turns on, the car will not start. Once the fan shuts off, the car will then start and once again you can drive it as far and as long as you want with no issues.

Anyone had a similar problem or any suggestions as to what might be causing this??

Old 11-20-2010, 08:29 PM

coolant temp sensor had one do this but it was backwards mine would run great until the fan kicked on then it would die fan shut off it would start an run great

Old 11-21-2010, 12:37 AM

Slight different outcome labc26 but I think you are leading to the cause. The ECU is or the Sensor is causing the engine to wait until the fan is off.

In a way your symptom is the same...the only difference is yours will die if the fan comes on. His don't just he can't start it until the fan is off. Another strange thing is I thought most ECU based cars start open loop until the Oxygen sensor reaches the right temperature to start producing the proper resistance and the ECU goes closed loop and starts looking at sensor signals. Strange indeed. Still I would shotgun the Temperature sensor that is governing the cooling fan.

Old 12-27-2010, 02:10 PM

Originally Posted by pamperpaula
I have a '97 Thunderbird. Upon turning the ignition key, the cooling fan begins to run and the car will not start, no matter what you try. After 5-7 minutes the cooling fan shuts off and the car will start. It will then run just fine, you can drive it for as long and as far as you want, no issues. You then shut the car off and when you try to start it again, the cooling fan turns on, the car will not start. Once the fan shuts off, the car will then start and once again you can drive it as far and as long as you want with no issues.

Anyone had a similar problem or any suggestions as to what might be causing this??
Mine is doing this exact same thing. Replaced the coolant temp sensor over the thermostat. Still having problem. What other sensor should I try, or is there anything else to check.

Old 12-27-2010, 06:38 PM

First of all T- Birds have somewhat different features incorporated in the engine control systems compared to the other models. It would help if you gave the engine size .
Also, just to go and replace sensors without being sure if defective is a waste of your time and money. You might want to get a manual specific to your T- Bird and it will be a lot more helpful.

Last edited by hanky; 12-27-2010 at 06:39 PM. Reason: addl info
Old 12-27-2010, 07:00 PM

Engine is a 3.8 V6. Have both a Chilton and a Haynes manual, no help so far. I know replacing sensors without knowing if they are bad is a waste of time, but I'm stumped on this one.

Old 08-04-2011, 05:32 PM

I have a 1997 ford thunderbird it has a 4.6 motor, It too wont run untill the fan shuts off,could run 5 min or so. how to fix this problem. I was told to check the fuel regulator, is this true. Please help.

Last edited by rodgered; 08-04-2011 at 05:37 PM. Reason: not enough info
Old 08-04-2011, 08:16 PM

don't know about the fuel regulator causing this, but the coolant fan coming on when the engine is cold would suggest a problem with the PCM.
What happens if you disconnect the coolant fan, remove relay or try anything to prevent the coolant fan from coming on? Just a hunch, but worth a try.

Old 08-06-2011, 08:28 PM
Default 1997 ford thunderbird

Originally Posted by hanky
don't know about the fuel regulator causing this, but the coolant fan coming on when the engine is cold would suggest a problem with the PCM.
What happens if you disconnect the coolant fan, remove relay or try anything to prevent the coolant fan from coming on? Just a hunch, but worth a try.
I unpluged the fan to see if it would start, It wouldn't, Until i pluged it back in. Iam thinking its the PCM too. Can i get the PCM checked some how before buying another one? Or is there somthing else i could check.

Old 08-07-2011, 06:17 AM

Unfortunately , usually the last step after checking everything is to replace the PCM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 1997 Ford Thunderbird Start Problem