Ford Thunderbird Starting in the 1950s, this was a classic American sports cars, from the compact original of the 1950s, to the muscular hard top coupes of the 1980s and 1990s to the retro look of the 2003 model year, this car is, and always will be, an American classic.

4.6 engine noise/ thunderbird

Old 08-20-2012, 05:48 PM
Default 4.6 engine noise/ thunderbird

Hey everyone!

I just bought the other day a 96 thunderbird and I have an issue and think I may need a new head.

After I bought it, from private party, I noticed it was 3 qts low on oil. First bad sign of trying to hide something. So I topped it up with the proper level and drove it, and everything seemed ok.

the engine is smooth, sounds great, but while accelerating on a bridge with concrete walls I heard it, sounds like a knock. Puzzled, I went home popped the hood and rev'd it at the TB. sounds good. no noises at all. Up and down, sounded good. So, went for another drive. I still heard it, now that I was payin attention I heard it, consistent knock above 2500 rpms. But could not replicate the noise parked.

So today after driving it home from work, about 20 miles, I can hear it faintly on the highway at 22rpm sometimes. And it does come and go.

So I had the ac on and this time I could replicate it parked. And it is tough, I have to float the rpm's at about 3000 and let it drop and I can pick up on it. Its coming from the back driver side. I think thats #8 cylinder. It is noticeable, and it sounds like it is coming from the upper end of the engine. I have tried to research but have been left with no conclusion. Its the 96 4.6 with exactly 200,000 mi on it.

With how it sounds I do almost feel if is valve train noise and is only on one valve. Like maybe I have a weak valve spring, or a bad HLA. But i don't want to drop a valve and destroy my head or worse.

So I was hoping to find a 4.6 guru that can drop some knowledge upon me. I am really fond of these ford mod motors but this is actually my first. Typically I only buy probes, but I couldn't find one. lol. And I know the HLA on the probes always made noise, but this one is a little more metalic and does get a little loud at upper rpms. But only under a load. You can barely hear it and HAVE to have the AC on to reproduce it in park, and it is only about 2500 rpm or higher do I hear it.

I work all week, but I plan to grandma it all week and keep the rpms low. So the noise doesn't happen, and wanted to dig into it this weekend. I would appreciate some input, its hard to search for, "4.6 2v upper end engine knock under load" and come back with anything useful.

Thanks in advance!!!

Old 08-20-2012, 09:29 PM

I started a thread in this forum, please add here: https://www.fordforum.com/forum/gene...r-noise-27820/