Ford Thunderbird Starting in the 1950s, this was a classic American sports cars, from the compact original of the 1950s, to the muscular hard top coupes of the 1980s and 1990s to the retro look of the 2003 model year, this car is, and always will be, an American classic.

93 thunderbird running problems

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2008, 10:16 PM
Default 93 thunderbird running problems

Hi guys I am a new thunderbird owner that needs some feedBACK I HOPE THAT SOME ONE HAS FIXED THE PROBLEM I AM HAVING. I bought a 93 with the 5.0l for 300 bucks it is in pretty good shap the problem is after starting the car it will run clear to alaska from denver but when you shut it off it will not restart for 1 whole day and even sometimes u can restart it 10 times in a row like in front of your house and on the 11th try it wont start for another 24hrs then it will start right up again the car only has 150,000 miles on it um i knew this was the problem when i bought it but i figured it has to be possible to fix and am trying to find some1 around here with the connection to fit the port to read the fuel pressure any other ideas or questions with anything i have left out please message me so i can updatei appreciate everyones insight on helping me fix this car. I more thing i have got 4 fuel shut off swithes cause he said they were poping but they are no longer poping.

Old 03-10-2008, 07:46 AM
jdl
Default RE: 93 thunderbird running problems

When it refuses to start, does it crank ok? If it cranks, have somebody crank it, while you check for spark at the plugs.

Checking fuel pressure is a good idea. Can you check for troublecodes?

Old 03-10-2008, 08:15 AM

Ya it cranks everytime i did check the spark and it got me pretty good. Um i have no way to check troublecodes yet i am waiting for a buddy to see if brakes plus has the tool to cheak it . Somethimes it seems like it wants to start but is not getting fuel but then it gets me why it will start 24hrs later and u can drive to whereever without no issues but when u shut it off forget it. Then u just have to go get it the next day that leans me toward not the fuel pumP. i am tryingto find out is any one else has had this problem and trying to get a list of could b's so i can check it all out and get it back on the road. Thanks for replying to my problem i was getting worried that not that many people accually come to the thunderbird fourms but i now alot of people go to the diesel forms.

Old 03-10-2008, 08:56 AM
jdl

I don't go to the individual forums. I click on the link that says today's posts. It lists all of todays posts from all the forums, I guess.

When it refuses to start, you might spray a little carb cleaner in the throttlebody, see if the engine will try to hit, if it does, it sounds like a fuel issue. I usually take the airduct loose from the throttle-body, open the valve, spray a little. Try not to spray it on any sensors, anywhere. Don't start no fires.

Old 03-11-2008, 12:20 AM

Spraying carb cleaner in some throttle bodies will ruin them - instead be safe and use throttle body cleaner (different stuff - won't ruin any sensors or coatings). Start by checking fuel pressure like this: Get tool described below. Run engine. Shut engine and ignition off and remove keys. Get safety glasses and gloves on. Get a metal rod with a 90 degree end (like a 90 angle straight screwdriver) take cap off fuel pressure valve under hood on engine(usually black cap on intake fuel rail). This valve acts like a tire valve - ONLY it sprays HIGH PRESSURE fuel which can penetrate your skin (long rubber gloves would be good). Take screwdriver and quickly push in the tip of the valve (like letting air out of your tire) and quickly release. If fuel sprays out pressure and pump are likely good. If fuel trickles out pump may be bad or try ignition module on the engine distributor (if not distributorless ignition). Ignition also controls fuel pump. Check fuses also. You only need 3 things to start: fire , fuel and air. Air is always reintroducing itself when the car sits - so likely not that. Spark (fire)- even if you shocked your *** off the spark plugs could be fouled and not firing - double check that nothing (like burnt oil residue or carbon (highly burnt oil) chunk) is caught at the firing tip of the spark plug(s). Fuel - pump or computer are problematic here in most cases. Could also be a bent fuel line: trace the line from the tank and check for a kink or bad bend closing it off. Dirty fuel filter will also stop fuel flow (depressurize lines (like I described above) to check or replace filter). I've never had a Ford fuel pump actually crap out (even at over 200,000 miles) - it's usually the computerized circuits on the engine (subjected to high heat) that go first (like the distributor ignition module (bolted to the distributor with two TINY bolts) which also controls the fuel pump).

Old 03-11-2008, 01:36 AM

Last check catalytic converters. If you start the car (from cold) and get a glove on and clamp your hand over the tailpipe is it blown/pushed off? If not the converter could be restricted (only other modern starting influencing factor).

Old 03-11-2008, 07:05 AM
jdl

ORIGINAL: goinstrong

Spraying carb cleaner in some throttle bodies will ruin them - instead be safe and use throttle body cleaner (different stuff - won't ruin any sensors or coatings). Start by checking fuel pressure like this: Get tool described below. Run engine. Shut engine and ignition off and remove keys. Get safety glasses and gloves on. Get a metal rod with a 90 degree end (like a 90 angle straight screwdriver) take cap off fuel pressure valve under hood on engine(usually black cap on intake fuel rail). This valve acts like a tire valve - ONLY it sprays HIGH PRESSURE fuel which can penetrate your skin (long rubber gloves would be good). Take screwdriver and quickly push in the tip of the valve (like letting air out of your tire) and quickly release. If fuel sprays out pressure and pump are likely good. If fuel trickles out pump may be bad or try ignition module on the engine distributor (if not distributorless ignition). Ignition also controls fuel pump. Check fuses also. You only need 3 things to start: fire , fuel and air. Air is always reintroducing itself when the car sits - so likely not that. Spark (fire)- even if you shocked your *** off the spark plugs could be fouled and not firing - double check that nothing (like burnt oil residue or carbon (highly burnt oil) chunk) is caught at the firing tip of the spark plug(s). Fuel - pump or computer are problematic here in most cases. Could also be a bent fuel line: trace the line from the tank and check for a kink or bad bend closing it off. Dirty fuel filter will also stop fuel flow (depressurize lines (like I described above) to check or replace filter). I've never had a Ford fuel pump actually crap out (even at over 200,000 miles) - it's usually the computerized circuits on the engine (subjected to high heat) that go first (like the distributor ignition module (bolted to the distributor with two TINY bolts) which also controls the fuel pump).
I've used carb cleaner--starter fluid--hair spray, once, never harmed any throttle-bodies. Using any spray can cause problems.

The way you told him to check fuel pressure is ridiculous! Yes,He can cycle the switch and press the valve, if gas squirts up, what does that tell him about pressure? Nothing.

He has to do the tests when the vehicle refuses to start, so how will it run???? When the vehicle refuses to start, he can, turn the key on, no crank, listen for the fuel pump, then bleed the pressure off the valve, don't recycle the key, then crank, then check for gas at the valve. If he has initial prime but nothing during crank, it will be obvious. That's an amatuer way to do it. Just to add, if your telling that person, that if gas squirts up, the pressure is ok???? I can't believe an intelligent person would say that. Good lord. Have a good day.

Old 03-13-2008, 09:07 PM

That u all for ur input but i have narrowd it down i think does any one have a wiring diagram of the thunderbird as far everything electrical for the car getting fuel cause something is shutting the fuel off and where is the fuel filter if i change everything that has to do with the fuel system is would have to fix it i change spark plugs and coil wire just cause they were original parts from ford that u all for your help and really appricate your thoughts

Old 03-14-2008, 03:10 PM

Also might be a good idea to pickup a CHILTON Repair/Service manual foryour t-bird.