Ford Thunderbird Starting in the 1950s, this was a classic American sports cars, from the compact original of the 1950s, to the muscular hard top coupes of the 1980s and 1990s to the retro look of the 2003 model year, this car is, and always will be, an American classic.

95 TBird slips in & out of drive + passenger door wont open; any ideas?

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2008, 05:46 PM
Default 95 TBird slips in & out of drive + passenger door wont open; any ideas?

I just bought a 1994 V8 TBird with 270,000 km on it. Its seems to be in pretty good shape, although lady driven regular maintenance was pretty minimal. It (allegedly) fires up everytime in -30* (Calgary) weather, it's still got some kick to it (the peddle seems really stiff though) and its electronics seem in order as well.

The problem with it is after it gets warmed up, about 15km of driving, As I accelerate my rpms I start to lose speed; it feels like the car is slipping into neutral and I drastically loose power, but yet it still goes about half speed or so. Then it recovers off and on again after that. I haven't driven it a long distance yet but the owner assures me that it usually ends up stalling eventually, but always temporarily.

Im not sure what Im dealing with here, I assume I need to change the transmission fluid and a get a regular tuneup as well. I only hope I dont need to be replacing the transmission as well.

And I also have the passenger door that wont open. I didn't get any back story on that but since the car has electric locks it seems like its going to be quite an undertaking. No idea where to start. Any thoughts greatly appreciated!

~Burd

Old 02-19-2008, 02:46 AM
Default RE: 95 TBird slips in & out of drive + passenger door wont open; any ideas?

Gas pedal cable or a speed sensor could be binding up at the intake. Spray grease might help the cable (if you can get it into the cable). Try new catalytic converter(s) for the lugging. I've seen the electric locks malfunction in cold climate (usually due to wear or water damage (by leaky door glass seals,etc.) in thedoor lockmotor. The door panel is easier to remove with the door open -otherwise you might find it easier to remove the passenger seat but before I would go that far I would unplug the passenger door lock motor and then try to open the door from the inside.