Ford Thunderbird Starting in the 1950s, this was a classic American sports cars, from the compact original of the 1950s, to the muscular hard top coupes of the 1980s and 1990s to the retro look of the 2003 model year, this car is, and always will be, an American classic.

discharging problem

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2015, 06:28 AM
Default discharging problem

can someone please help I have a 1995 Thunderbird that keeps discharging my battery I have change the alternator twice and charge the battery over and over it seems to run great and everything works until it discharges the battery completely dead any advisewould be greatly appreciated I don't know where else to turn or what else to dothank you in advance.

Old 05-22-2015, 06:47 AM

If you have any access to a volt meter you could do a voltage drop test across each fuse to see which system is draining the battery. Otherwise,,,,,
If you are sure the battery itself is good and will hold a charge, you could start pulling fuses and one of them should show a spark if the draw is hi enough and that system very likely has the problem.
Something like a relay sticking closed, glove box light ,trunk light or anything that has power with the key off could be the culprit.

Old 05-23-2015, 08:44 AM
Default Ford Thunderbird discharging

ha hanky thank you for your reply can you explain to me how to check it across the fuses with a voltmeter I have one but not really sure how to check it with it thank you in advance not sure exactly what I will be looking for

Old 05-23-2015, 04:02 PM

I hope your meter is a digital meter, but if it isn't , what you will be looking for is the circuit that has current flowing through it. Place the voltmeter probes on both sides of each fuse set for any voltage reading less than 12 volts DC. A circuit has to have current flowing through it for you to measure a voltage drop across the fuse. No current flowing, no voltage drop reading. If the key is off only certain circuits will be hot and those are the ones you need to check. Don't forget to tape the door switch for the courtesy lights closed or you will get a reading since current will be flowing to turn those lights on.