Ford Thunderbird Starting in the 1950s, this was a classic American sports cars, from the compact original of the 1950s, to the muscular hard top coupes of the 1980s and 1990s to the retro look of the 2003 model year, this car is, and always will be, an American classic.

Help! Looking to purchase an 88' Turbo Coupe

Old 09-14-2008, 11:52 AM
Default Help! Looking to purchase an 88' Turbo Coupe

I have found an 88' Thunderbird Turbo Coupe and in response I have gotten some very bad feedback from people. Here are there comments (anonymously):

No, No, No...owned this same model year, Turbo Thunderbird...see the amt he's invested in it...and yet selling for $1900. hint, hint, hint Don't buy that car, the turbo goes out, it's expensive to replace and the replacements are not even as long lasting as the original, at 3 mos no more warranty and if it goes out, you have to put in another one. ca-ching. Stay away from turbos, fine while it lasts, but they when they go, you are pretty much out of luck.

Find a Chevelle!!!!
As a mechanic for 17 years I have to agree, do not buy this car. If I remember right it is a 3.8L turbo V-6. You would definately be better off getting the same model with a 5.0 V-8 NA mustang engine. WAY MORE RELIABLE. You will have nothing but problems with the turbo motor.
Input would be very much appreciated!!!

Old 09-14-2008, 03:05 PM
Default RE: Help! Looking to purchase an 88' Turbo Coupe

Number one Chevelles bite the dust in comparison to a turbo engine plus older Chevys weren't known to have good engine bearings so that would be one big crap out. If tou're a mechanic who dabbles in machining you could modify a better bearing setup to go in them - but turbos are troublesome compared to superchargers. Try a Thunderbird Super Coupe in decent shape. I remember V-6 and 2.3 liter 4 cylinder turbo engines. Find out which it has. It makes a difference. The only thing I ever could stand about Chevys were the Chevelle bodies - still their engines and transmissions arecrap. The engines - junk bearings, the transmissions - one piece housings so you can't change the bell housing like you can on an oldFord making the Chevy's friiggin useless in a retrofit or street rod that's anything worth it.