Ford Thunderbird Starting in the 1950s, this was a classic American sports cars, from the compact original of the 1950s, to the muscular hard top coupes of the 1980s and 1990s to the retro look of the 2003 model year, this car is, and always will be, an American classic.

Vinyl roof replacement

Old 08-15-2010, 12:30 PM
Default Vinyl roof replacement

I want to replace the vinyl roof of a 1977 Thunderbird, I don't mind to installing the new roof, but I am wondering if someone has suggestions about removing the chrome around the vinyl?

thanks,

Eddie

Old 04-10-2012, 11:42 AM
Default Removing trim on the roof of a 1977-79 Thunderbird

I realize your post is nearly two years old, but, as I am going through the process of replacing a vinyl top on a 78 t-bird, I figured I would at least put a response here.

In short, yes, you have to drop the headliner inside. However, it is not necessary to drop the entire headliner; only about the back half (up to the dome light). Carefully remove all the trim from the doors to the back of the car that gives access to the headliner. The headliner is supported by a series of rods that are hooked into the roof frame. I used a pry bar to remove the one side; the pressure was then off the rod and made removal on the other side easy. Mark the holes where the rods were so you know where to put them back in. Also, at the back, there are two wires that hold up the end of the liner to the back of the car. You will need to get them out of the holes before the liner will drop. I am unsure you'd have to remove the dome light, but, I did for the sake of it. Once you do this, you will see the retaining nuts on the underside of the roof that hold down this trim on the room. Be patient with it

In all honesty, you should invest a few bucks in a Chilton or Haynes manual; they are pretty good with this stuff. I have a factory shop manual for 1978 model year Fords; it is okay and does provide the information needed, but, the other ones seem to be written in layman's terms.

Old 04-11-2012, 02:09 PM

Though it was almost 2 years ago, I do appreciate your answer. In the mean time I did buy the Haynes manual and I also have a Ford factory shop manual for '77 Ford models.
As you said, I found out I had to remove part of the inside headliner and the trim around the windows.

I do hope other owners can use this information.

thanks again.