General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

03 Marquis sohc.... What can I do with it??

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2015, 01:41 PM
Wink 03 Marquis sohc.... What can I do with it??

Hello All,
New to this forum... looking to a new place to fit in. I am an Electromechanical engineer and LOVE to tinker! Years ago I made the purchase to what has grown over the years to be my darling 2003 Mercury Grand Marquis. I love this car, will do anything for her and will NEVER get rid of her. I have 182k miles on her with no major troubles thus far ( I take good care of my Merc), but as she approaches 200k I am beginning to consider swapping heads to DOHC. Can I snag any PI or Tumbled heads off of any 03+ Mach 1/ Aviator etc...?? Will my existing Harness work with anything available? I've got tons of time invested in research on this and am still slightly unclear, hence why I am here to meet people who know what their talking about. Thx!

Old 01-23-2015, 05:55 PM

If you have the time and $$$$ you can do "almost" anything with regard to rengineering that engine. Just a reminder to keep in mind that when you put new/rebuilt heads on an engine with that mileage Pandora's box opens. Is there some particular reason you desire /need to do what you are considering?

Old 01-26-2015, 05:58 PM

Originally Posted by hanky
If you have the time and $$$$ you can do "almost" anything with regard to rengineering that engine. Just a reminder to keep in mind that when you put new/rebuilt heads on an engine with that mileage Pandora's box opens. Is there some particular reason you desire /need to do what you are considering?
@Hanky
Thx for response (thumbs up!)... Well remember that t.v. show years ago, Tim Allen in "Home Improvement"? Had that hot Rod in the garage he always came home to work on and grunt like a caveman in glee when talking bout cars and hotrods and just anything that was "guys stuff"...... Its just fun. I got some time and have always admired the Marauders, CV's with DOHC Mods and how interchangable "Modular Egine parts and engine assy's in the ford passenger car line up is. What im looking for is likely still going to be my DD, but I want something with a set of kahunahs on it, feels & sounds awesome in paralell to having yet a nice platform for future/additional performance upgrades such as a set of cams, turbo, intake, ect..... Ive often heard discussion in forums about the difference between 2v SOHC mods and 4v DOHC mods is that baisically its significantly more prevelant or worthwile in using the DOHC for better results. So im trying to find a decent deal on a donor vehicle or engine assy from LKQ, also have talked to a few local guys that do the whole refurbished bare block. whather its a teardown-rebuild or a bb to complete drop-in im prepared to "cave man grunt" while spending a good amount of time in my garage, lol! Im good with that, just trying to talkk to the pros about it a bit to help me decide a good and efficient direction to go on. Ive owned that great car for years now always thinking about its potential muscle growth and performance capabilities.... Thx!