General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Need HELP ASAP with starter cylinder for Ranger

Old 12-18-2006, 10:09 PM
Default Need HELP ASAP with starter cylinder for Ranger

Hi guys I hope that some of you could help me with this , the starter cylinder in my 2002 Ranger broke once you insert the key is just loose it doesn't do anything ,so I order a new cylinder and the Autozone guy told that Ford cylinders are not hard to replace but I never done it so if anybody have picsor blueprints on how to do this it will be great ,need to get it fix by wed. so I can drive it 1200 miles to spend Christmas with my family ...Thanks in advance

Ps: How do you reset the chip in the key to work with the new cylinder ????

Old 12-18-2006, 10:16 PM
Default RE: Need HELP ASAP with starter cylinder for Ranger

Before I go into more detail, I want to make sure what you mean by the "starter cylinder". Do you mean the ignition switch - located on the steering column, where you insert your key to start your vehicle?

Old 12-18-2006, 10:27 PM
Super Moderator

Ignition Switch Lock Cylinder — Functional Lock Cylinder

Removal and Installation
[ol][*]Disconnect the battery. For additional information, refer to Section 414-01.[/ol]
Remove the ignition switch lock cylinder (11582).
[ol][*]Insert the ignition key and turn to the RUN position.[/ol]

[IMG]local://upfiles/6756/18A229B852594FBAA1FA8C4C4151C798.gif[/IMG]

2. Press the ignition switch lock cylinder release pin while pulling out the ignition switch lock cylinder.

[IMG]local://upfiles/6756/0A3D38602E5D46E4AF174C81A1B7CC17.gif[/IMG]
[ol][/ol]
[ol][/ol][*]To install, reverse the removal procedure.[*]Verify ignition switch lock cylinder operation.
[ul][/ul]
[ol][/ol]

Old 12-18-2006, 10:39 PM

It is the metal drum round where you insert the key , ford dealer mention that it could be the shaft inside the cylinder that broke ,but replacing the entire cylinder is the samething I think ..

How do you reset the key to work with the new cylinder/drum ???

Old 12-18-2006, 10:48 PM

Excellent, Hayapower! You always come through with helpful posts! I'm wondering though ... it doesn't discuss removal of the steering column housing in order to access the ignition switch - usually secured by 4 screwsand separates from top to bottom. Is that what the #11582 explains? If so, would you mind posting that for him? You're a sweetie!

Old 12-18-2006, 10:55 PM

ORIGINAL: Silverrr
How do you reset the key to work with the new cylinder/drum ???
Sorry, but I'm not sure Iunderstand your question. Do you, Hayapower?

Silver, your new ignition switch should come with a key. If you currently use ONE key that operates the doors and ignition, unless you have the new ignition switch re-keyed, you'll have to use two separate keys now.

Is that what you interpreted from his post also, Hayapower?

Old 12-18-2006, 11:00 PM
Super Moderator

One of the weak links in the key/lock set is the engagment 'tang' out on the end of the lockset..

If you look at the picture you can see it opposite the key..

[IMG]local://upfiles/6756/AE3BC9684B7946A7BF276E66AF4CF530.gif[/IMG]

Old 12-18-2006, 11:09 PM
Super Moderator

MB...

Think maybe they sold him the lock cylinder repair kit.. It's for 'building' a new lock cylinder to match the exsisting locks.. The repair kit ( I believe) is F85Z-11582-AA. The lock repair kit/pacage includes a instruction sheet to build the new lock cylinder to the current key code of the vehicle.

Comes with a new lock set, all the brass tumblers/bars to build out the lock to OEM key..

Maybe he can verify the lockset part number...

Old 12-18-2006, 11:12 PM
Super Moderator

The access hole in the lower column cover is 'right below' the release pin for the lock set..You can pull the covers too though if needed..BUT, he has to be able to turn the key to the ON position for the release pin to 'push in'.. Otherwise there's a more detailed removal for a NON functioning lock set...

Old 12-18-2006, 11:14 PM

Ooooh, I understand now. Thank you for theclarification and explanation, Hayapower.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Need HELP ASAP with starter cylinder for Ranger