General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

2003 Taurus mystery smell... mold?

Old 04-20-2005, 11:29 AM
Default 2003 Taurus mystery smell... mold?

Has anyone out there experienced a nauseating problem with a stench that seems to be similar to mold? I think it's fair to compare it to that Seinfeld episode where Jerry's car got a B.O. smell in it that "attached" itself to everyone and everything. This smell is absolutely horrible, and gets on everything within a short 15 minute car ride-including hair, clothing and even books. Riding in the car is not possible after 30 minutes due to dizziness and headaches. We've taken the car back to the dealership dozens of times, and (after replacing all the carpets, front seats, cleaning the air flow ducts, re-applying stripping and chemical ionizing) the company will do nothing further to find this mystery smell's cause, other than agreeing to ionize it as needed as a temporary fix.
Does anyone see a problem with this? I'm wondering if there are more people out there who have dealt with this problem before (or presently) or perhaps just have suggestions for us to try. The dealership and FORD MOTOR in Detroit (after admitting there is indeed a problem that they can't fix) refuse to let us out of the lease, and refuse to acknowledge the problem is still there when we try and seek further action.
HELP!!

Old 12-13-2008, 09:04 PM
Default RE: 2003 Taurus mystery smell... mold?

we have that problem on our 03 taurus, what i found was the well in the trunk for the sparetire was full of water and was making the musty/moldy smell. if it has water in it take the spare out there is a rubber plug under it you can pop out to drain the water, wheres the water coming from??? i am not sure but i think its snow falling in the trunk because of the rear window is so close to the trunk, i checked the seal on the trunk, it was not leaking