General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

2003 Taurus SE stalling at stops and hwy speed

Old 05-15-2007, 09:45 AM
Default 2003 Taurus SE stalling at stops and hwy speed

Taurus Stalling - 99,000 miles, 3.0L, 2V group
I have been trying to isolatean ongoingstalling problems. What I have recently found out is that these problem happen almost exclusively when the gas tank has less than 1/4 tank of gas. The car will stall out at stop lights, it will just suddenly just turn off. It will also stall more often when driving at hwy speeds. When the car has 1/2 tank or more of gas, it does not happen. This leads me to think it's a fuel pump, fuel filter problem, or crud in the tank getting sucked into the pump or filter stopping the flow of fuel.

I have been running my Autoxray 5000 scanner, watching the real time, fuel rail pressure, while driving with less than a 1/4 tank. I have seen the pressure vary from 65 psi (highest at idle) to more of driving average of 36 to 42 psi. I always thought the fuel pressure should stay pretty constant while the engine was running (possible symptom).

Now I did experience stalling at a stop light, what confused me was that the scanner lost it's connection to the computer when the car stalled, which lead me to think it's an electrical problem. But why would an electrical problem only happen when I have less than 1/4 tank of gas? The only thing I can thank is that when the car stalls due to a lack of fuel, the computer resets causing a loss of connection to my scanner. This may be why it's so hard to find the codes or see if the fuel rail pressure drops to zero due to a failing fuel pump, or clogged fuel filter.

I am going to try a test by hooking up the scanner, starting the car, then pulling the fuel pump fuse to see if I can replicate the stall. I will look to see if the computer resets during the stall and I lose the scanner connection. If it does, I will replace the fuel filter, and fuel pump.

* If anyone knows if the computer resets at a complete engine stall please reply.
* If you are having the stalling problem check to see how much fuel you have in the gas tank when it happens. if it's below 1/4 tank please reply.
* If you have been scanning the car and see the same loss of connection when the stalling happens please reply.

I will provide everyone with the results once the "pull the fuse" test is complete.

Old 03-09-2008, 06:12 PM
Default RE: 2003 Taurus SE stalling at stops and hwy speed

I have the Same exact problem with my 2003 Taurus SES, almost 2 years now and ford can't fix the problem. I believe it is a defect they are aware without a solution. I spent over $300 in deductibles with my extended warranty, diagnostic tests and a whole lot of inconvience and risk of driving, 2 near rear accidents. They relpaced some type of relay, acted up 5 months later again, then they replaced a Fuse box Juction gem module, one week later, acted up again!then took it in a couple of other times after it happened but they say they can't duplicate the issue.Last time theyKept my car for one week, gave me a loaner and they said come pick up your car we can't duplicate the problem...I said thanks for only driving it 18 miles..not much test driving on their part!! Spoke to the Service supervisor, and says theres notmuch more they can do at this point, sorry! Here's what I say Maybe an accident due to the issue will get Ford's attention! When I get to about 1/4 tank of gas, I will be driving around their parking lot like a looney and duplicate it myself, seems to happen more with the gas guage between 1/4 and empty, but not always, once happened when I was over half tank...so tired of this issue but just can't afford another car or higher loan payment right now. I love my car besides this damn electrical issue!

Old 06-02-2010, 04:53 PM
Default help my taurus is stalling

I am having the same problem with my daughters 2003 Taurus SES, it stalls for no reason, loosing all power. It mostly happens when gas is at 1/4 tank or lower but today it happened at 3/4 tank, had it hooked up to computer and it is throwing no codes, was hoping someone has come up with a solution. Please help she has new baby and this could be really dangerous

Old 02-22-2011, 06:08 AM
Default '03 Stalling Taurus

I have been having the same problem. I have not paid any attention to my fuel level when this happens. My problem seems a little different though. It is only when I am stopping, idling, or parking. Often, as I am braking, my oil light will come on, RPM's drop, and the car often loses power and dies. When I notice the RPM's dropping, I can often shift into drive and it will not die. As I said with the oil light coming on, I know that I have a sufficient amount of oil in the car, so it is not from that. There are even occasions where it will die after I start it and am putting in gear. Any suggestions?

Old 11-06-2012, 02:51 PM

I am having the same problem with my Sable. Mine does it at about half a tank. Does yours restart right away? I have to let mine sit about half an hour.

Old 11-07-2012, 02:12 PM
Default 2003 Ford Taurus Wagon 3L Stalling

Since the weather has gotten cooler, the stalling has appeared to stop.
Last stall was around 2 weeks ago when the high was in the mid 80's...wait half an hour...then it restarts...when it first happened...I was cruising at about 40mph...car just when out...I was able to restart while coasting (in nuetral)...very dangerous...noticed another time...car was on an slight incline on a hot day and would not start...would turn over...temp guage said normal...no codes displayed...too dangerous to sell...I don't think it is going to happen in the cooler weather (hopefully)...will try IAC (an easy changeout on top of engine)...anyone else had succcess?

Old 05-21-2016, 05:36 PM
Default Ford taurus stalling out on highway

Originally Posted by Bigtodd
Taurus Stalling - 99,000 miles, 3.0L, 2V group
I have been trying to isolatean ongoingstalling problems. What I have recently found out is that these problem happen almost exclusively when the gas tank has less than 1/4 tank of gas. The car will stall out at stop lights, it will just suddenly just turn off. It will also stall more often when driving at hwy speeds. When the car has 1/2 tank or more of gas, it does not happen. This leads me to think it's a fuel pump, fuel filter problem, or crud in the tank getting sucked into the pump or filter stopping the flow of fuel.

I have been running my Autoxray 5000 scanner, watching the real time, fuel rail pressure, while driving with less than a 1/4 tank. I have seen the pressure vary from 65 psi (highest at idle) to more of driving average of 36 to 42 psi. I always thought the fuel pressure should stay pretty constant while the engine was running (possible symptom).

Now I did experience stalling at a stop light, what confused me was that the scanner lost it's connection to the computer when the car stalled, which lead me to think it's an electrical problem. But why would an electrical problem only happen when I have less than 1/4 tank of gas? The only thing I can thank is that when the car stalls due to a lack of fuel, the computer resets causing a loss of connection to my scanner. This may be why it's so hard to find the codes or see if the fuel rail pressure drops to zero due to a failing fuel pump, or clogged fuel filter.

I am going to try a test by hooking up the scanner, starting the car, then pulling the fuel pump fuse to see if I can replicate the stall. I will look to see if the computer resets during the stall and I lose the scanner connection. If it does, I will replace the fuel filter, and fuel pump.

* If anyone knows if the computer resets at a complete engine stall please reply.
* If you are having the stalling problem check to see how much fuel you have in the gas tank when it happens. if it's below 1/4 tank please reply.
* If you have been scanning the car and see the same loss of connection when the stalling happens please reply.

I will provide everyone with the results once the "pull the fuse" test is complete.
My 2007 Ford Taurus has been giving me problems with stalling based on A level of gas in tank and B rate of speed car is traveling. When the car is driven around on back roads or in the city, it runs fine UNTIL it gets below a quarter tank. The. The cAR starts to "jerk", and slowly stalls out on me. The power steering goes out as well. If I pull the car over, turn off the ignition and restart the car it's fine or if I add gas it is fine. Then when I take it on the highway and get between 55-75 mph it does the same thing only difference being the gas is between full and half a tank this time.....HELP PLEASE BEFORE I DIE DRIVING TO WORK!!
I've recently replaced the starter, alternator and battery fyi...still giving me hell...I have someone replacing the fuel filter now but I have a feeling that's not the problem. ..does anyone know what this could be? I'm leaning towards a new fuel pump.
I'm a single mother and don't have the money to keep fixing things that aren't the cause...THANKS FOR ANY INPUT!!

Old 07-11-2016, 10:13 AM

I have a 2007 Taurus and I had the same problem for a couple of years. It ran fine when it was cool outside but as soon as the thermometer hit 75 it would start stalling. I took it in and the mechanic said the fuel pump was bad. I paid 437.00 for a fuel pump and on the way home it did it again. I turned around and drove back to the Ford Place and he checked and said a sensor was bad. I saw the break in the line on the computer screen so I figured he was right. He didn't have the sensor so he gave me a loaner so he could fix it the next day. After installing the sensor and on the way to deliver my car back to me it stalled again. The mechanic turned around and drove back to the shop and got another guy to ride with him with the computer hooked up. It turns out that when it stalled the fuel pump was completely stopping, no signal from the computer. They replaced the fuel pump relay and the fuel pump control module and nothing helped. Finally after troubleshooting for almost 6 weeks the dealership gave up (because I wasn't paying for troubleshooting) and called the Ford reps all over the nation for advice. One rep in Detroit, I believe it was, contacted them back and told them that a wire that runs from the computer to the fuel pump control module was losing contact. The checked out that wire and sure enough every time it acted up that wire was dead. They replaced that wire 18 months ago and I haven't had anymore trouble with it. Have your dealer contact B&B Motors in Barnwell SC (803-259-5524) and they can tell him which wire was bad and how to fix it. My dealer wasn't charging me for trouble shooting the problem and it cost me only $135 dollars to fix it finally. I hope this helps.