General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

2020 escape turbo removal

Old 02-03-2022, 01:57 PM
Angry 2020 escape turbo removal

I bought my ford escape two years ago and already got 69k on it due to driving 1000 miles per week... not including weekend trips. My turbo died on me and now Im wondering if anyone can tell me the best way to remove the turbo so that I can replace it?

Old 02-03-2022, 03:38 PM

What engine do you have?

Old 02-03-2022, 06:03 PM

Originally Posted by scott.butler4
What engine do you have?
I have the newer 1.5 liter 3 cylinder engine … just fyi its I’m not asking because I’m not capable , I’m just asking because so I know ahead of time what needs to be removed vs. trial and error

Old 02-03-2022, 07:27 PM

So do you want the instructions for turbo removal/replacement?
Slightly confused by your post.

Old 02-03-2022, 08:44 PM

Well in order replace it I have to remove it 💁.

Old 02-04-2022, 08:56 PM

For unknown reasons the pictures are not pasting on the forum now, luckily you said you are capable so likely wouldnt have needed pictures.

Removal
NOTICE: The turbocharger compressor vanes can be damaged by even the smallest particles. When removing any turbocharger or engine air intake system component, ensure that no debris enters the system. Failure to do so may result in damage to the turbocharger.
NOTICE: Special attention needs to be given to the sealing ports for the oil feed, the oil drain, and the coolant lines, on turbocharged engines. The sealing ports must be totally clean and free from O-ring residue, have no damage to the sealing surface and the lines to ensure that there are no leaks or repeat repairs.
All Vehicles

1. Drain the cooling system.

2. Remove the cowl panel grille.

3. Remove the air cleaner outlet pipe.

4. Remove the charge air cooler intake pipe.

5. Disconnect the turbocharger control hose.

6. Remove the bolts, then remove and discard turbocharger oil supply tube. Discard the designated bolt.

7. Loosen the turbocharger coolant tube bolt, then disconnect the turbocharger coolant tubes and move out of the way.

8. NOTICE: Do not use a metal brush, damage to sealing area will result in leaks.
Remove and discard the turbocharger coolant tube O-ring seals.
• Inspect the turbocharger tube and the sealing surfaces. Ensure that the retaining bracket is not bent, check for square-ness of the retaining bracket to the O-ring area. Use brake cleaner and a nylon brush to clean.

9. Remove the bolts and the nut, then remove the turbocharger heat shield.

FWD ONLY
10. Remove the catalytic converter.

11. Remove the bolts and the nut, then remove the bracket.

AWD ONLY
12. Remove the power transfer unit.

ALL VEHICLES
13. Remove the bolts, then remove and discard the turbocharger oil return tube.

14. Remove and discard the turbocharger mounting nuts, then remove the turbocharger.

15. Remove the bolt, then remove and discard the turbocharger gasket.

16. Remove and discard the turbocharger mounting studs.

17. Only if needed, remove the turbocharger elbow adapter nuts, then remove elbow adapter.

18. Only if needed, remove the turbocharger studs.

19. If the turbocharger elbow adapter was removed, then inspect, clean and replace the gasket as needed.

Installation
All Vehicles
1. If removed, install and tighten the turbocharger studs.
Torque:
1, tighten to: : 36 lb.in (4.1 Nm)
2, tighten to: : 44 lb.in (5 Nm)

2. If removed, install the turbocharger elbow adapter, then install and tighten nuts.
Torque: 97 lb.in (11 Nm)

3. Install and tighten the new turbocharger mounting studs.
Torque: 89 lb.in (10 Nm)

4. Install the new turbocharger gasket, then install and tighten the bolt.
Torque: 17 lb.ft (23 Nm)

5. Install the turbocharger, then install and tighten the new turbocharger mounting nuts.
Torque:
Stage 1: Tighten in the sequence shown to: : 17 lb.ft (23 Nm)
Stage 2: Re-tighten in the sequence shown to: : 17 lb.ft (23 Nm)

6. NOTICE: Ensure that new O-rings are used.
Install the new O-ring seals, if already not installed, then lubricate them with clean engine oil.

7. NOTICE: Do not use a metal brush, damage to sealing area will result in leaks.
NOTE: The oil return tube must be fully seated prior to fastener rundown.
• Carefully use a nylon brush to remove the old O-ring residue, use brake cleaner to rinse the O-ring residue out of the turbocharger tube O-ring bore. Inspect the area for deep scratches and gouges. Install new components if needed.
1. Install the oil return tube, then install and tighten the bolts.
Material: Motorcraft® Metal Brake Parts Cleaner / PM-4-A, PM-4-B
Torque: 97 lb.in (11 Nm)

AWD ONLY
8. Install the power transfer unit.

FWD ONLY
9. Install the bracket, then install and tighten the bolts and the nut.
Torque: 35 lb.ft (48 Nm)

10. Install the catalytic converter.

ALL VEHICLES
11. Install the turbocharger heat shield, then install and tighten the turbocharger heat shield bolts and nut.
Torque:
Tighten the bolts to: : 115 lb.in (13 Nm)
Tighten the nut to: : 115 lb.in (13 Nm)

12. Install the new the turbocharger coolant tube O-ring seals, lubricate with clean engine coolant.

13. NOTICE: Do not use a metal brush, damage to sealing area will result in leaks.
• Carefully use a nylon brush to remove the old O-ring residue and use brake cleaner to rinse the O-ring residue out of the turbocharger O-ring bores. Inspect the area for deep scratches and gouges. Install new components if needed.
1. Install the upper turbocharger coolant return tube first, then install the lower turbocharger supply tube and bolt. Tighten the bolt.
Torque: 89 lb.in (10 Nm)

14. NOTICE: A new turbocharger oil supply tube filter must be used. (Part of the oil supply tube.) Failure to use a new filter will cause turbocharger failure.
Install the new O-rings if not already installed. Lubricate the O-ring seals with clean engine oil.

15. NOTE: The oil supply tube must be fully seated prior to fastener tightening.
• NOTICE: Do not use a metal brush, damage to sealing area will result in leaks.
Carefully use a nylon brush to remove the old O-ring residue, use brake cleaner to rinse the O-ring residue out of the turbocharger and engine O-ring bores. Inspect the area for deep scratches and gouges. Install new components if needed.
1. Install and fully seat the new turbocharger oil supply tube, install and finger tighten the bolts at this stage.
Torque:
1 : 89 lb.in (10 Nm)
2 : 89 lb.in (10 Nm)
3 : 22 lb.ft (30 Nm)

16. Connect the turbocharger control hose.

17. Install the charge air cooler intake pipe.

18. Install the air cleaner outlet pipe.

19. Install the cowl panel grille.

20. Check and top off the engine oil as needed.

21. Fill and bleed the cooling system.

© Copyright 2022, Ford Motor Company.