General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Ford KA Steering Shake and Vibration. Please Help!

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2014, 11:15 AM
Default Ford KA Steering Shake and Vibration. Please Help!

Hi,

I have Ford KA and over the last couple of days I've noticed that when doing under 40 the steering wheel shakes left and right about 1/2 an inch each way at a regular rate. Holding the wheel normally stops it but you can just about still feel it. I'm about 90% sure this is a new thing as I'm quite a hypochondriac when it comes to my car. Notice all noises and stuff.

If I do under 10 mph and let go of the wheel in stages it turns left quite a lot. By stages I mean it moves, then stops, then moves then stops. Almost looks robotic if that makes sense.

I also noticed excessive vibration through the seat and footwell when driving between 50 and 70 on the motorway earlier together. Almost feels like a back and forth judder. At 80 it becomes less noticeable.

Another thing that might be related, when I break, it feels uneven, ie. With consistant pressure the amount of breaking varies almost like something has been worn down unevenly.

Type pressures were checked a couple of days ago so its not that. MOT said my suspension bushes are worn, could that be it?

I'm not too worried about it, I can put up with it but I'd just like to know what might be causing it and if it's dangerous or not.

Any help or advice would be much appreciated.

Old 01-04-2014, 03:21 PM

it is possible that worn bushings can cause the steering to do what you're saying. the braking might be warped disc(s). that could also cause the steering problem as well if on the front. welcome to the sight.

Old 01-04-2014, 03:29 PM

Not to cause any alarm, but if nobody has checked the front wheels for loose nuts that hold the wheels on the vehicle it would be a good idea to have them checked to make sure one side is not loose. Check both sides.

Old 01-04-2014, 05:55 PM

What sort of price would I be looking at to replace bushes? Sounds expensive.

I'll go round all the nuts tomorrow to make sure they're all tight. Thanks for the tip.

Old 01-05-2014, 02:23 AM

It might be a good idea to get another opinion from someone that can actually look under the vehicle instead of going on a possible wild goose chase.

Old 01-05-2014, 03:21 PM

does the brake pedal shake when braking or when you have to stop or does it stop like it did when it did when it was new?

Old 01-13-2014, 02:00 PM

Might be a broken belt in one of your tires. This will make the steering wheel rock back and forth. It happened to me on my Taurus, so it can happen to anyone. Hope this helps.

Old 01-19-2014, 01:15 PM

Originally Posted by hfb1957
Might be a broken belt in one of your tires. This will make the steering wheel rock back and forth. It happened to me on my Taurus, so it can happen to anyone. Hope this helps.
I agree, could be a broke or shifted belt in one of the tires. I would also question if someone borrowed the vehicle before this started or, if you, yourself bounced it off a curb causing a bent rim.