General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

2004 Ford Escape Turns Over But Doesn't Start

Old 06-20-2010, 10:23 AM
Default 2004 Ford Escape Turns Over But Doesn't Start

My wife has a 2004 Ford Escape 3.0 V6.

A couple of times this year it would turn over, but doesn't start. After leaving it alone for a while; sometimes 15-20 minutes or overnight it start again and runs for a month or so without any issue. I can pump and pump the gas and I never smell any gas at all. I thought it was an issue with her key because it has a security chip. So, I tried her spare key and sometimes that would work. I do not know if that was a coincidence or not though. This last time, neither key would work and leaving vehicle overnight didn't do anything. Has anyone had or seen any issue like this with their Escape?

Thanks for any help.

Old 06-30-2010, 11:20 PM
Default 2005 has same problem

My car is in the shop with the same problem. On June 26th I dropped my daughter off at work, then stopped by home to picked something up. Ten minutes later my car wouldn't start. It seemed to try to turn over. I turned the key four different times. Each time the engine tried to turn over and each time the engine tried to turn over for a shorter period of time. Finally the fourth time nothing happened. No turning over or even the clicking noise. Forty five minutes later the engine started. The mechanic has put it on the computer and everything looks good. He has had the car for three days and can't duplicate the engine not starting. Did you find out what was wrong with your car?

Old 07-01-2010, 03:26 PM

I'm sorry to have to give you this info, but the computer /scan tool the mechanics use will check certain systems, but will not tell you everything that is wrong with the vehicle. Very basic things like poor battery connections will not always show up on a scan tool unless the mechanic looks directly for readings like battery voltage etc., Many times you get charged for hooking up a scan tool when basic checks will reveal a problem. Good routine maintenance can prevent many inconviences. Just from what you describe sounds like poor battery cable connections. Sometimes they work and sometimes they don't. Wish I could be more helpful, but need more info.
Thanks, hanky

Old 04-09-2012, 05:18 PM

My daughters' 2004 ford escape is doing the same thing. has 107,000 miles on it and three times in the last month it has acted up in that it will turn over but will not start. I gave it to the dealership to work on the problem (they had it for two days) and they had it act up once for them but when they hooked up equipment to catch what the cause is - the problem never showed up. They felt pretty sure it was the fuel pump but could not verify that. I needed the car back so I picked it up and while I had it I replaced the fuel pump and fuel filter myself (easy access under the back driver-side seat). Two days later this problem showed up again. I am now reading other people having this problem too and one Ford expert says its the IAC (idle air control valve) which is right on top of the engine - easy to get to! I may try replacing this and see what happens, not sure yet.

Last edited by shnrap; 04-09-2012 at 05:20 PM.
Old 04-09-2012, 09:08 PM

Well, if it was the IAC, then try stepping on the gas while cranking (just don't floor it); if it starts, then you'd bet I'd go after the IAC. One other thing to check is the wiring to the Inertia switch, which can be pulled out of the connector, about half way, and create a pain in the butt problem like this. Otherwise, like I always say, watch the check eng. light while cranking; if it goes out when cranking, then you know it's most likely a fuel problem.

Old 10-08-2012, 02:52 PM
Wink 2004 ford escape not starting

I finally caught the vehicle not starting. The problem was not that it wouldn't start but rather that it wouldn't idle. You had to keep the gas to it to keep it running - of course to my daughter "it wouldn't start" because she didn't know to do this and once it started it would idle down pretty quick and then die since she didn't keep the gas to it. This was still a problem though because the car should idle without having to keep the gas peddle pushed down a little, which was abnormal. The fix: cleaned the valve body from "gunk" buildup with a good carburetor cleaner and replaced the "Idle Control Valve" located right on top of the engine - easy to get to.

Old 10-08-2012, 09:00 PM

Ok, you did just the right thing. But, some food for thought here: I'm a really cheap person, who will hairpin anything I can to make it run. However, that being said, these IAC's weren't supposed to be cleanable. If the problem returns, you might have to replace the valve. If it works fine, then no harm, no foul!

Old 10-09-2012, 09:43 PM

I required the car returning so I selected it up and while I had it I changed the petrol push and petrol narrow myself (easy accessibility under the returning driver-side seat). Two days later this issue revealed up .

Old 01-11-2013, 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by shnrap
I finally caught the vehicle not starting. The problem was not that it wouldn't start but rather that it wouldn't idle. You had to keep the gas to it to keep it running - of course to my daughter "it wouldn't start" because she didn't know to do this and once it started it would idle down pretty quick and then die since she didn't keep the gas to it. This was still a problem though because the car should idle without having to keep the gas peddle pushed down a little, which was abnormal. The fix: cleaned the valve body from "gunk" buildup with a good carburetor cleaner and replaced the "Idle Control Valve" located right on top of the engine - easy to get to.
My '04 Escape is doing the same thing. The first time was about a year ago and then not again until a couple weeks ago, and then again today. Did changing out the "Idle Control Valve" solve this problem for you? Any information on this issue would be helpful as I am supposed to be driving this car down to Florida in a couple of weeks.

Old 01-12-2013, 03:35 PM

Yes, JT81, cleaning the valve body and replacing the "Idle Air Control" valve did fix my problem.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2004 Ford Escape Turns Over But Doesn't Start