General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

ford econovan

Old 10-30-2011, 12:54 AM
Angry ford econovan

the problem,, when motor warms up normally about 6 kms the idleing goes up ,as if the choke is on, then it starts to blow heaps of smoke, but when cold runs like a dream. does not use water and very litle oil. the compression is all the same at 130. any help would be helpful..

Old 10-30-2011, 04:24 AM

Don't know what engine you have, but what color is the smoke ? If black, its a fuel problem , if blue it's oil, if white it's coolant usually.
Sounds like a possible fuel pressure regulator problem.
If the engine has a fuel pressure regulator that you can see, pull the vacum hose off and see if there is gasoline in the vacuum line. If so, that confirms the regulator is defective. Just get a new one and replace it. Let us know how you make out.

Old 10-30-2011, 04:43 AM

ok thanks'' its a 1990 petrol (carby ) motor ,didnt know it had a fuel pressure regulator, where would i find it.. it 's blowing black smoke

Old 10-30-2011, 10:50 AM

Well, Well, Hanky, a car we both understand. Trevor, this sounds like a carburated engine, which means always start a check of the choke (it should open after about 3 to 5 minuets), and check for a stuck/sticking float (it will dump gas either out of the vent on the carb or down the throat of the carb at idle). If fuel injected, the press. regulator is most likely stuck about 100 psi, which is 60 psi too high and dumping gas in the crankcase. If this is the case, don't forget to change the oil, too! If the smoke is blue or white, then you're heading for lots of work. Let us know.

Old 10-30-2011, 11:42 AM

Ya know what they say about assume, well I feel like I just got sucked in assuming it was a fuel injected engine.
Thanks greasemark, you covered the situation so well I can't think of anything to add.
Lately there seem to be a lot of carb questions coming up. I guess there are a lot of the older vehicles still out there , maybe like us!

Old 10-31-2011, 08:03 PM

Hanky, I'd rather think of myself as 'well used', rather than an antique. Just my preference, but I'm still trying to convince myself that I can still do this job, even with all the electronics.

Old 11-01-2011, 03:54 AM

thanks to hanky & greasemark for your input have looked at suggested fixes with no forseen remedy, so i'm thinking it might be a fuel pump problem. such as it might have a leak which is leaking straight into the head, not sure what to think. thanks again

Old 11-01-2011, 02:56 PM

The problem your vehicle has is not that complicated.
I am somewhat puzzled since I have worked on many Ford Econoline vehicles and have never seen a 1990 with a carburetor. They were all fuel injected. What is different here.
I do suspect you are in a different country where they have shipped older vehicles or we are getting incorrect info. Can you tell us more about this vehicle like what engine is in it and does it really have a carburetor. If so is it a two barrel or 4 barrel carb or is it a 6 cyl in line with single barrel carburetor. We really want to help you solve your vehicle's problem.

Old 11-01-2011, 08:15 PM

Actually, Hanky, I've seen a Police Intercetor (a 1990) that was an MCU system w/a V.V. carb. The only difference was, it was Canadian. I remember Ii got into a big fight with E Care Colorado about it. If This vehicle is truly a north american car, it IS fuel injected (the last engine to go was the 460 in 1989 or 90). If it is fuel injected, it's just a fuel pressure reg. problem (check the fuel pressure with a gauge; it should be 30-45 psi with the eng. running, and no leaks into the vacuum hose that goes to the reg.). If carburated, then what we said before goes.

Old 11-02-2011, 04:27 AM

sorry hanky i should of mentioned im in adelaide, south australia. yes it has a 2 barrel carby and is a 1.8 lt 4 cylinder petrol motor,and its a 1990 model ford econovan,, i have done all you and greasemark have suggested with no change, do you think the fuel pump could be leaking into the block when motor is under load?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: ford econovan