General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

2012 Escape wiring diagram

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2015, 03:40 PM
Cool 2012 Escape wiring diagram

Can anyone send me a link to, or tell me where I can get, (online) a copy of a 2012 Escape wiring diagram, particularly for the rear liftgate. I need a switched power source to install a wireless backup camera.

Old 02-19-2015, 04:38 PM

You might want to be careful with this. "Fords" do not like when things are added on to present circuits. A word to the wise, many problems have surfaced when different things were added to the vehicle. If it was built with an added feature certain precautions are incorporated and planned for. Sometimes a completely different circuit has to be made with the proper precautions to prevent future problems.

Old 02-23-2015, 08:56 PM

If using as a backup camera, don't you only need it when in reverse? Tie in to the backup light...

Old 02-24-2015, 12:35 PM

FYI:
The vehicle did not come with the backup camera option. Some manufacturers make a standard wiring harness, which includes all option wires, and then only use those that a particular vehicle requires. This Escape however, has only a basic harness from the body of the vehicle to the liftgate. While there are some 12V (hot) terminals, in the liftgate, (window release, door-ajar, etc) they drop off when an additional load is connected, as "hanky" pointed out, likely controlled by a solid state device. The need for a wiring harness diagram is to see if there is any way I can find a spare or unused wire to run a connection from a back-up lamp(s) in the tail light assby to the liftgate for the power source for the camera.

Old 02-25-2015, 02:24 AM

The way to get around this problem is to install a relay that requires very little power to energize it and have a fused supply for the relay to turn the camera on. You can't use just any relay it has to have a voltage spike suppressor built into it to protect the rest of the electronics on the vehicle. A separate circuit might be a better choice.

Old 02-25-2015, 01:42 PM
Super Moderator
Thumbs up

What are the specs on the camera as far as load/draw on or for the transmitter? Any given?

The reversing lamps have a integrated/non serviceable relay built into the BJB battery junction box. A small extra load on the relays contacts shouldn't be an issue. That said, you wouldn't want to overload the relay.

The reverse lamp wire color is GN/BU. The schematic isn't much, but will send them along..

Old 02-26-2015, 09:12 AM

No specs given for the camera load, but it is a typical low power camera, with a wireless transmitter.
My problem is not being able to connect to the reversing lamp power, but how to get it to the liftgate where the camera/transmitter will be located. (the camera is on a bracket that bolts to the license plate mounting screws)
As I posted earlier, I cannot find a spare or un-used wire in the harness, and I don't know if the effort to try and "fish" a wire up, behind the panels in the body, through the hinged tube at the top of the liftgate, and down to the license plate area is worth the convenience of the rear-view camera.

Old 02-27-2015, 10:28 PM

check trailer sites or references to wiring for trailer.... maybe?