General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

2012 fusion 3.0 engine ticking

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2016, 12:01 AM
Default 2012 fusion 3.0 engine ticking

so got a new to us 2012 fusion 3.0 with 70k miles about a month back. changed the oil a few days ago and after i changed the oil i noticed it was ticking. Now, it very well could have been ticking before i changed it. i only popped the hood at the dealership to check the fluids and once after that to re-check the fluids. So, i don't know if it was from before or after the oil change. can't hear it very well at all with the hood closed unless you pay attention but can really hear it with the hood open. hard to pinpoint where exactly it's coming from. was getting ready to go to work when i took the video. everything else seems fine, no fluid loss from anything, car has plenty of power and runs smooth. no issues other than the ticking. Are these cars known for something like this? any ideas? This is on a warm engine

Note: the noise seems incredibly loud in the video, that is my phone picking up a lot of sound.. didn't think it would record that loud on my phone. if you listen close you here a distinct "Tick" among all the chatter and noise, that is the noise i'm referring to. if it's difficult for some with all the background noise i'll try to take a video from further away and see if that helps. thanks in advance

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qr1J...ature=youtu.be

Old 11-17-2016, 04:08 PM

There could be several reasons for the "ticking" sound.
If it is caused by the belt , just spray a little water on the belt , if it stops you just confirmed it is coming from the belt.
If it is an exhaust leak, just place a piece of hose close to your ear and move the other end around the engine exhaust system , being careful not to contact any moving parts, if it is an exhaust leak you will definitely hear it when you get close to it.
Sometimes fuel injectors will make a ticking noise and that can be considered normal.
If it is related to the oil change, the question of did you use the owner's manual recommended grade of oil? Those are some of the reasons I can think of at the moment and there may be others which I might have overlooked and hopefully someone will add them here.