General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

2016 Ford Fiesta transmission warning

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2017, 12:10 PM
Default 2016 Ford Fiesta transmission warning

Hi everyone, this is frustrating. I left something on that drained the battery, jumped the car and now I have a transmission warning. I had the service engine light and a wrench, the engine light went out but now there is a wrench warning and also a service transmission warning as well. The vehicle is a 2016 SE with the 1.6 engine and auto trans. The car runs fine but something needs to be reset, or so I think. Anyone know how to fix this? Thanks

Old 02-26-2017, 12:30 PM

I don't know the answer to your question, as I don't get involved with transmission anymore. As the transmission needs to reprogram itself after a battery drain. Try disconnecting the battery terminal with a charged battery and then reconnect and drive it normally so it can reprogram itself.

Old 02-26-2017, 12:46 PM

Already did that, after waiting a half hour for something to drain fully. No change, would it be safe to drive a vehicle with a transmission service warning? Is there a memory that needs to be flashed back into the trans or ecu?

Old 02-26-2017, 01:33 PM

I would never recommend driving with a warning light on. I stopped repairing transmissions 23 years ago when I left England. so advancement in technology has advanced more than my knowledge on the subject. As an example, a low tire pressure on a front wheel drive can cause the diff to sense a problem in the transmission and set a fault code. I only work on cars belonging to my family but find it irresistible to not get involved. What did the scanner tell you before you cleared the codes !.. How did you start the car with a jump start on an automatic transmission, that has not been around since the late 60's. A second pump was installed in the rear of the transmission that allowed it to be tow started, although its real purpose was it save pumping loss by having a smaller pump once the car was moving and bypassed the front pump. I just looked up on the transmission on your car and its a totally different arrangement to conventional transmissions, it looks like a British Leyland design that's was never produced or the Roots easy drive from the 50's. I would like to know the answer when you solve the problem. phil.

Old 02-26-2017, 02:53 PM
Default Help please

I was hoping for someone to verify that Ford produced something this odd. There has to be an easy remedy for this or owners could not change their battery or do any work that requires the negative ground removed without having trans issues. This is BIZZARO

Last edited by Trekky; 02-26-2017 at 02:57 PM.
Old 04-15-2017, 04:46 AM

Feel sad for you.return man 3 But I don't know how to fix it.

Last edited by Leimgob0802; 09-03-2017 at 09:18 PM.
Old 04-15-2017, 11:18 AM

Newer vehicle these days are very limited as far as what the owner can repair. Electronics control so many functions that provide convenience and safety that a modern scan tool is required to troubleshoot any problems. Even the computer has to be told the battery has been replaced or the charging system will not function properly. Your best bet will probably be to have someone with the proper equipment check it out and make a determination of what needs to be done. Sometimes what is called a forced reset will remove gremlins, but other than that not too much can be done without the equipment and knowledge.

Old 12-09-2023, 06:11 PM
Default Trans malf

Did anyone ever figure out this issue?

My son has one of these Fiestas. We had to swap the motor because it blew the head. It took us a couple weekends with the battery unhooked. Now it shows the dreaded
"Tranmission Malfunction Service now" message.

It also shows a bad cat 420 code, bad exhaust/cam correlation and a couple others that werent there before. But no tranny codes.

Anybody have a clue?

Old 12-09-2023, 08:50 PM

With Fords , even if you replace one electrical part,it has to be programmed to the vehicle.
With an engine swap, not known how many were removed.and disconnected.
A capable scan tool will be required now to reprogram some things.
Engine swaps are not as easy as they once were.

Old 12-09-2023, 08:57 PM

Originally Posted by hanky
With Fords , even if you replace one electrical part,it has to be programmed to the vehicle.
With an engine swap, not known how many were removed.and disconnected.
A capable scan tool will be required now to reprogram some things.
Engine swaps are not as easy as they once were.
nothing on the transmission was changed. And the sensors are all the same. I've decided to have the tcm and ecm reprogrammed.
do you know of anyone having had this problem? And what thier solution was.

Quick Reply: 2016 Ford Fiesta transmission warning