General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

'74 Ford LTD, runs like crap when cold

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2010, 10:07 PM
Exclamation '74 Ford LTD, runs like crap when cold

Even in the summer, i gotta let my LTD warm up for at least 5 minutes before i can drive it, otherwise it'll stall when you give it gas.
[when it's REALLY cold outside though, like -40, it will fire right up no problem lol]

It's definately a problem with the carburetor. I don't know a whole lot about carburetors though. This is my first car, bought it off a friend for $500, and I'm just kinda learning about things as I go along.

Other than that though, it's a great car.

any suggestions?

Old 03-27-2010, 04:26 PM

what i done when i had my first bit of trouble is get a hayes book and start reseaching it. that's an odd issue you've got. i would first try a kit. get a book on the car so you know exactly how things go. i would take it apart and clean it. the more thorough the better. get some carb spay and a buck of cleaner. let everything soak till it comes ungummed. make note of the adjustments also. i've also had luck with turning the screw to the butterfly (around the base of the carb not inside). like i said though when cleaning, the more thorough the better. check out that book to it'll save you alot of $ and headache. something else comes to mind. if it's not firing hot it may cause harder starts when warm. might check the plugs and gap and all that stuff.