General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

'97 Crown Vic, won't start, turn over, click, nothing, need ideas please.

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2014, 05:36 PM
Default '97 Crown Vic, won't start, turn over, click, nothing, need ideas please.

Hello
I have a '97 Crown Vic, very low miles, battery good, recently replaced plugs, wires and coil packs. Have driven 4-5 times since, runs like a top. Sat for 2-3 weeks. Got in to take it for a spin and nothing. Won't crank, click, start, nothing. I have tried to charge battery and also jump with my truck, nothing.

Seems like some type of ignition lockout is in play. I have moved the shifter to neutral and back to park, still nothing.

In a bit of a panic, any ideas on what I can check on would be really appreciated.
THANKS

Matt

Old 10-08-2014, 06:44 PM

Hi Matt,
My first question is how do you know the battery is good?
Can you turn the headlights on and do they work?
Does the vehicle have any kind of anti theft system?
Do you own or have access to a test light or voltmeter?

Old 10-08-2014, 06:54 PM

Battery meters at just under 13 volts, charged for a few hours anyway and still nothing. Then tried to jump with my truck, still nothing.
Does not have any type of anti theft system that I know of. What would I look for to see if one is installed? I have never had one.
Yes, I have a volt meter, where should I test?
Thanks

Old 10-08-2014, 07:09 PM

Just read a thread about the 'inertia switch' in the truck.
I did clean out my trunk a few days ago. Not sure what the inertia switch does, but could this keep the car from starting/turning over if I hit it or something?

Thanks
Matt

Old 10-08-2014, 07:39 PM

Not normally. What it does is open the circuit to the fuel pump in the tank. The vehicle will crank, but not start .
Do the head lites work?
If they do , do the lites on the instrument panel come on when you turn the key on?
What we are trying is to determine where you have power and where it gets lost.

Old 10-08-2014, 08:03 PM

Headlights, windows, horn, etc, all work. Turn the key, dash lights all work. What else should I look for?

Old 10-08-2014, 09:11 PM

OK , we have power available in the vehicle. What we may not have is power to the starter solenoid.
There are two wires at the starter solenoid. One comes from the battery positive terminal and it is a large wire that should have battery power at all times. The other wire is a much smaller wire . It brings power from the ign switch through the neutral safety switch when in the start position and it activates the starter solenoid. It should show 12 volts when the key is turned to the start position. If it doesn't have 12 volts the neutral safety switch could be defective. If it gets 12 volts the solenoid on the starter should close and provide power to the starter motor.
Something we have tried at times like this was to rap the starter motor with a hammer and see if that permits it to operate. Sometimes a brush will hang up and not make contact and the starter motor won't operate. Just a quickie and sometimes it works. Otherwise if power is present at the large cable and is available at the small terminal when the key is turned to the start position then the starter motor has a problem and may need to be changed.

Old 10-08-2014, 09:54 PM

Good stuff thanks. I will check the terminals for power and report back.
THANKS

Old 10-12-2014, 01:58 PM

Turned out to be a corroded wire at the starter solenoid,
THANKS
Matt

Old 10-12-2014, 04:46 PM

Thanks for the update.
Always nice to know the problem was found and corrected.