General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Cam Phasers

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2016, 02:01 PM
Default Cam Phasers

I have a 2008 MKX 3.5l with check engine light of P0011 and P0016. I changed the camshaft position sensors which did not help, and I had another mechanic change the camshaft timing oil control valves which did not help. I took it to Bill Knight Lincoln in Tulsa and they indicated that it was the cam phasers and there is a TBS regarding this. This repair would be $2200 which I authorized. They have had the car for almost 4 weeks. Now they tell us that the timing is off more than what the phasers may be responsible for. They now want to change the timing belt, sprockets and guide for a total of $4200 but they are not even sure if that will fix the problem. The car has 70000 miles on it. I've had Blackstone engine oil analyzed regularly without any evidence of engine issues.

Any thoughts? I want to have the phasers changed and drive it and see what happens, but now they tell me they won't change the phasers unless all the other work gets done. And they want to charge me $1000 just to put it back together without the phasers being replaced.

Thanks,

Van

Old 11-04-2016, 03:10 PM

Unfortunately,what you would like to have done doesn't make good sense. I say that because there is more to the problem than just phasers. There may be a chain problem also and it would not be good to do only half the job. I realize the cost is hitting home, but you don't have much choice except to have it fixed there or have it towed out and have another shop do the work and that can open a can of worms. Sometimes problems like this can be the result of using the improper motor oil.
Something the former shop might have done would have been to determine if the correct oil and service was performed.

Old 11-04-2016, 03:35 PM

When I first brought the car to the dealership, I told them the engine codes but they said they had to do their own diagnostics for $100. I said fine. I told them there was a TSB for phaser for this vehicle. They got back to me and confirm this. Then they wanted to change tires for $1200 and change the PS fluid and change the cabin filter for $$$. So they had already set the tone that they want as much money as they could shake out of me. If I need $4200 worth of work that is fine but I'm not convinced they know what they are doing. They also said it may not fix the problem.

The car has running ok except for some roughness on idle. It accelerated fine and no noise or hesitation.

I call a Ford dealership and they said it would cost me $1600 to change the chain, sprockets and guides. So why would it cost me an additional $2000 at this Lincoln dealership when the engine is already apart?

I just heard that the Lincoln dealership will be calling Ford to see if they can get more information.

Thanks again. Van

Old 11-07-2016, 04:36 AM

Personally, I think that some Lincoln dealerships assume that since you bought a Lincoln you can afford to "Pay-To-Play". Lets face it...It's not a Mercedes, BMW or such. I took our MKZ to Fiesta Lincoln in Mesa, AZ. for just an oil change.

1st...I had to make an appointment (really?, for an oil change)
2nd..I had to wait almost 2 hours after my appointment time to get my vehicle back (really?, 2 hours to do an oil change)
3rd...They said that I was going to need new brakes on the front and rear as they were almost wore out (really?, for a 2 year old vehicle that had 5,200 miles on it and just spent the last 2,500 miles driving from NY to AZ)

No thanks. When my tail lights started having the issue that Lincoln extended the warranty on them for, I took it to San Tan Ford (now my Dealer when I need one).

Why there?

1st...They can fix Lincolns just as easily a Ford (same animals).
2nd...I only saw an issue with on and they verified that both were in fact bad.
3rd...The ordered the parts and said that they would be in by 2 PM and it would be fixed by 4PM and that they would take me home if I didn't want to wait.
4th...They came out and told me my MKZ would be done in an hour. They had another MKZ that was supposed to be in that morning for the same issue, but the owner changed the appointment for the following week, so they took that customers updated tail lights, put them into my MKZ and would be replacing the other customers with the ones that ordered for mine.
5th...Smart move on their part to win a customer...