General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Cancel my registration on this website

Old 11-11-2008, 09:55 PM
Default Cancel my registration on this website

I used to get responses to my inquiries, but hardly any more. The administrator should go ahead and cancel my registration. But they will probably ignore that too.

For one thing, it shows me as a senior member. This implies that I am experienced. I am not a mechanic and I don't know much about auto repair. This is why I would benefit from responses.

Let's see if I get a response now?

Old 11-11-2008, 11:58 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Cancel my registration on this website

Hi Dave... Sorry you feel that way..

This site can be slow at times in posts 'and' responses as you noted.. I frequent a few other sites and some have slowed down as well.. Even worse though,, is when you have a urgent need for info for a specific repair, rig it's torn apart?, oris completely down and you see a big ~0~ in the replies.. It's happened to me in otherarea's, andfor equipment and such, as well as car/truck enthusiast forums.. Joined,, asked a question,and zip!! Not even a Welcome.. Not trying to make excuses, (maybe so but members come and go, folks get busy try'n to stay afloat,and more often people come to places like this looking for only helpwith a single issue, once their help request is met, if it is, somemay leave, some stay.. There's some sharp folks here, I know because I read most postings through out the day (in between phone calls/lunch ect.) or like tonight and try and not let them slip between the cracks..There 'is' strenght in numbers and in the collective experience,overall living long enough in the industries helps too, and we'd hate to see you leave, but sometimes it isn't what you can take,,, although it sure helps at times,,, but what you bring to the table.. Weather or not your a mechanic you still have experience with your truck that someone else might not. Think that comes with just owning something long enough or taking it apart way too many times.. Or you may be able to point a member, maybe someone newin a positve direction either here with a fix search or help, or another site on the net.. And since experience is the great teacher, I'd hope you hang and share yours.. I know I've learned a few things here, scratched my head on more than a few occasions,, looking for answers to the questions that keep me awake at night...

Old 11-12-2008, 08:09 PM

I kinda feel the same way tho, I know I'm new here and havn't posted as much but it kinda bites when I log on and see the only one that has replied to my post well was me to add something, I know people are busy and whatnot and it takes time but it's been like 2 weeks on my post and nothing, but it's cool I can wait just my 2 cents :P

Old 11-12-2008, 11:09 PM
Super Moderator

The very difficult part of helping, or trying to is, at the 'net level'your usually only going on a general description for the most part, some not so good either and/or can be pretty vague, and without any to no'hands on' time or test equipment that maybe be crucial for a decent diagnosis it's hard to point to a 'best' direction to go..Then there's therelated costs of a 'guess' all having an affect on the responses IMO.. I read the trans request you posted, couple times, but was a little unclear.. So here we go

Transmission problems on high mileageunits(if that the case, you didn't state the miles so I'm guessing)are even worse to predict since there's a very good chance of internalsgoing south.. Hydraulic application of apply components may be an issue as the internal seals wear that may be worse on a cold unit then improve or correct as the trans warms, but generally will be slow to show up.. A flush/service and filter probably wouldn't hurt, but doubt it would cure your complaint though, but may give an indication as to the 'general' condition of the unit by the color/smell of the fluid or any abnormal 'trash' in the pan and stuck to the magnet.. Dark toblackcolored deposits throughoutwith some burnt smell might indicate the friction materials coming apart.. Forward clutch is a fairly common problem.. Or metallic materials circulating with the fluid may indicate hard parts, one way clutches/sprags failing.. Was the OD lamp at the end of flashing at any point?? It will generally lamp flash if the trans is over temp, detects a slip or a for any solenoid/circuit issues.. Anything'extra' that you can add may help in someone 'catching' or posting a help resonse.. The more difficult or odd question you ask, generally will need the most and clear information you can post.. Pictures are a 'big plus' too if applicable.. I don't mean to highjack Daves post here, butif you don't get a response here, askin another forum, search the net,and post the responses here, and likewise if you've been helped here.. Most often you'll find the answer, or your best bet....

Old 11-18-2008, 10:22 AM

You are right it does have high miles :P 194k so I'm sure things are starting to wear out lol I'm going to try the filter and new fluid deal and if that don't work then not sure what to do prob a new tranny :/ but what happends when it heats up is when it starts to slip only when I get off the highway sooo other then that not sure what else to say ty for the help tho (I think on my post I said the miles and problems I would have to look) thanks again

Old 11-18-2008, 11:39 AM
Super Moderator

Actually you did in your New Member post..

But if thats still the original trans and not a reman. at close to 200K on the clock you and/or the previous owners were VERY lucky.. Most never made it that far.. Does the OD cancel light flash?