General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Car shuts off when at idle

Old 10-04-2011, 05:38 PM
Default Car shuts off when at idle

So I been to NAPA and OReily's and nothing comes up on the computer. Basically when I am at a stop with car still in drive and foot on break the car dies. Doesn't shake, shimmy or do anything - just shuts off like your turning the ignition key.

Whats weird is this doesn't happen a whole lot. I drive 90miles a day and this shuts off once\twice a week. Thats it!

I was told it could be one of the following: EGR, EGR sensor, Idle Air Control, PCV or some guy at OReily said it could be some Air flow indicator sensor. Not sure what he meant but it is a little black block sitting very close to the air filter.

Again this doesn't stall, shake, shimmy or bounce. The idle seems fine infact when I am thinking it is running I find it shut off

The car is a 2000 Mercury Sable 6cyl with 94K miles. OH yea - forgot to say the car starts EVERYTIME after shutting down.

Thanks all for at least reading this :-)

Last edited by gopherMN; 10-04-2011 at 05:53 PM.
Old 10-04-2011, 07:46 PM

I have seen crankshaft sensors do some weird things and this could be one of them.
Possibly you might get someone to check the computer for any codes that may be in there. Might provide a lead.

Old 10-04-2011, 09:34 PM

Would a issue with the crankshaft sensor show on a computer. A dealership computer? Just want to make sure the $$$ I spend hooking it up is going to show something.
Money is VERY tight right now!

Old 10-04-2011, 11:40 PM

I do not believe it will. That is why they can be so difficult to troubleshoot without special equip. There are so many reasons for an engine to just stall.

Old 10-05-2011, 07:21 AM

Thanks Hanky! Happened to me AGAIN this morning. Car ran fine going to work then when I had to stop on the ramp at the lights it just shut off. Started up just fine but out-of-nowhere it just shutoff.

This is killing me! So far I was told it was the EGR, EGR sensor, Idle Air Control, PCV, Air Sensor, Crankshaft sensor. Ugggh - starting to feel like I am a weatherman and telling you we have a 50/50 chance of rain or shine :-)

Anyway thanks Hanky! Life would be easy if the engine light came on :-)

Old 10-05-2011, 02:44 PM

Here are a few things that might be causing the vehicle to stall.
There is a PCM relay in the relay panel. If that relay drops out everything quits.
If the ignition switch is losing contact you would see the warning lights and the entire dash go out..
I believe the relays were quite troublesome . They don't cost that much, might pay to just pick one up and change it.

Old 10-05-2011, 08:02 PM

If you have acess to a scanner, this is where it will save some huge money. If you can monitor the data stream, look at Long and Short term fuel trims, Fuel system, and both primary o2 sensors (the pids are: lft1, lft2, shft1, shft2, fuel_sys, o2s11, and o2s21). The Fuel system should be in closed loop, the long fuel trims should be (hot at idle) between -9% and +9%, and the o2s should be switching back and forth between rich and lean. If this looks normal, then look at TP and TPCT (throttle position and t.p. closed throttle). They should be within 0.1V of each other. Also, check all the wiring connectors and pay particular attention to the vacuum and PCV lines. They have a tendency to crack and leak, creating all these problems.

Old 10-05-2011, 08:04 PM

Thanks again, out of curiousity a buddy told me he had the same thing happen. What he did was disconnect the CrankShaft sensor. I might try that (i.e just disconnect it). If it runs fine then we know its that. If it dies then I will check the PCM relay.

Last edited by gopherMN; 10-06-2011 at 07:32 AM.
Old 10-05-2011, 08:10 PM

greasemark - holy crap you lost me on the second word :-)
Guess it is time to have it hooked up on a computer and let the pros figure it out.
Thanks all!!

Old 10-06-2011, 07:32 AM

Well, found the CrankSensor and disconnected it (buddy said he had the same issue and disconnected his). Well the dang car wouldn't start so I had to plug it back in.
Looks like the two options I have are to put in a new IAC or change out the PCM relay.
Will let you know what we find ~

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Car shuts off when at idle