General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Explorer Stereo Problem

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2011, 06:40 PM
Default Explorer Stereo Problem

Hi there,

I have just purchased a 2005 Explorer Eddie Bauer (excellent vehicle) and the Eclipse Stereo does not seem to be working. Is unresponsive to any buttons except "Open" and "Eject Buttons" ( Touch Screen )

The Eclipse AVN5504D stereo only displays eject cd, eject dvd, open. plus some asian writing at the top which I don't understand sorry.

As I have just bought the car second hand I do not have any activation disc or the like.

Any help in this matter would be much appreciated please

Old 11-05-2011, 07:43 PM

Originally Posted by McLean
Hi there,

I have just purchased a 2005 Explorer Eddie Bauer (excellent vehicle) and the Eclipse Stereo does not seem to be working. Is unresponsive to any buttons except "Open" and "Eject Buttons" ( Touch Screen )

The Eclipse AVN5504D stereo only displays eject cd, eject dvd, open. plus some asian writing at the top which I don't understand sorry.

As I have just bought the car second hand I do not have any activation disc or the like.

Any help in this matter would be much appreciated please
Don't take this for granted, but I know that many head units have a theft protection system that can be configured to require entering a code upon every power-up (which would be OK for the owner, but would render the unit worthless for the thieves). You only get so many attempts at unlocking it ... after that the unit turns into an art-deco piece that can only eject and reload disks ... like yours. Again, this is not definitive, so please take this with a grain of salt HTH ...

Old 11-05-2011, 07:59 PM

Yes I have heard of this, but mine being only a touch screen with some side buttons, power, source, volume etc and no number buttons. Is there any other way to unlock?

Old 11-05-2011, 08:19 PM

Originally Posted by McLean
Yes I have heard of this, but mine being only a touch screen with some side buttons, power, source, volume etc and no number buttons. Is there any other way to unlock?
The touch screen is where the number "keys" would have been displayed...

I don't know if they deal with car audio, but you can give DVDexploder.com a try ... they specialize in removing region protection from DVD players. Also, Google is your friend, as usual, try searching for your unit model and the keyword "unlock".

I googled it a bit and bumped into a problem with a SONY unit ... you may very well be in the same situation: some units only require the unlock code when the car battery is disconnected (which, from the unit's pov, is the same as being stolen and then the thief attempting to power it back up ...). You fail that code three times and the unit commits suicide, end of story. I hope it's not your case, although it looks a lot like it may be ...

Unfortunately, there is also the possibility that the unit is just malfunctioning ...

Good luck!!

Last edited by cougar_fan; 11-05-2011 at 08:30 PM.
Old 11-05-2011, 10:03 PM

Thanks for the help mate,

Tried DVDexploder.com but seems as though their software does not support my model.

Have been googling and searching forums for days now to no avail.

Although will contact Eclipse direct, (may be a little hard from down here in New Zealand, haha ) hopefully get an unlock code with proof of ownership and serial.

Again cheers for your efforts mate!

Old 11-05-2011, 10:21 PM

No problem ... and good luck!!