General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Focus stuck in park

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2007, 08:40 PM
Default Focus stuck in park

Got off work today and started my 2000 Ford Focus (automatic transmission w/cruise) but couldn't depress the button to shift into any gear. Any suggestions? Local service advisor at the dealership said check the brake lights if they don't work it is stop light switch. I replaced it but still doesn't work. Is the green switch above that switch what actually controls that? No one has one in town except dealer. I am plannig to go to dealership in the morning to try to get the other switch if my car is still there in the morning (parked in the very bad side of town). Any suggestions? ideas? anything?

Old 07-19-2007, 10:51 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Focus stuck in park

There'll be a 'brake pedal postion switch/sensor', and a stop light switch.. The shift interlock works off of the stop light switch.. If the brake lights come on, then the fuse and the switch are good..Could be the actuator itself.. Can send you the info if you want to do the work...

Old 07-20-2007, 08:43 AM
Default RE: Focus stuck in park

I got it fixed. As crazy as it sounds. It must have been in a bind. I replaced both switches with no positive response. I took them back and put the old switches back. I then decided to try to depress the safety release on the center console (take little cap off and press with a screwdriver while car was off) and shifted into neutral. I started it and could shift gears then. I thought this would get me to the stealership to get it fixed. But, when I stopped I tested it and it worked as normal. So, only thing I could think was wrong was it was in some kind of bind that wouldn't release the shifter on theconsole.

Old 07-27-2010, 07:36 PM

Hello I have a 2004 Georgie class a motor home with the v10 . i start it and I can not shift it out of park. I remember having trouble with the speed control lasy year on out way home from vacation Any help I really need it .

they tell me at auto store that there is no manual yor it yet Thank you Blair

Old 10-05-2014, 11:51 AM
Default Focus Stuck in Park

My 04 Focus has the Stuck in Park problem and the brake lights work normally. My next step is to check the pedal sensor/switch. I can only imagine that the team that did the software was second rate.