General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Ford Edge Blown Engine?

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2016, 01:00 PM
Default Ford Edge Blown Engine?

I need some help here. 2 weeks ago, my wife's 2011 Ford Edge overheated on us. I got a warning light and pulled into a parking lot immediately. As I parked, steam began spewing out of the grill and the car was hemorrhaging coolant onto the ground. A lot of coolant. This may be important to my question. I had the car towed to an auto shop where they diagnosed the problem as a cooling fan failure. I had the cooling fan replaced ($898 for parts and labor). 2 weeks later, my wife pulls up to our house and says the car may be overheating again. She said it began running rough and she drove it approximately 1/4 mile back to our house. No warning lights or alarms. Once again, I have it towed to the same mechanic and he calls to tell me that the water pump has failed, causing coolant to leak into the oil pan (very poor design flaw by Ford). The introduction of coolant into the oil has basically caused major damage to the engine to the point it needs to be replaced. So I have several questions-

Could these be two totally unrelated issues? The cooling fan and the water pump within 2 weeks of each other?

Would a competent mechanic typically check the water pump if you were told the engine dumped all the coolant after overheating?

Is there a way to check if the engine is shot without pulling it apart?

Is it worth paying to have a new engine put in before trying to resell it or should I just cut my losses and try and offload it now?