General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

ford van cutting off while driving and/or idling

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2011, 02:09 PM

no...that's the abs control box! I looked all around passenger side by inertia switch but I don't see no pcm over there....anyone with a clue????

Old 03-07-2011, 02:30 PM

Your ECM should be located under the passenger side dash board on the firewall. to remove it you need to loosen the bolt that goes through the large plug for the ECM . That bolt is loosened from under the hood in the engine compartment. I don't know what the part was you removed but I don't believe it to be the ECM.

Old 03-13-2011, 10:57 AM

good morning. Been working on another car to basically take a step back from the ford van for a minute. Just tested the external pump and it works. About ready to check the one of the internal pumps via leaving the external one off and turning the key to kick on the internal pump in the front tank. Assuming it works, I'll then be checking the selector switch. What's the deal with the external pump being magnetized? I went to test it today and a screw was attached to the side. Is it suppose to be magnetized? I removed the ABS box located driver side kick panel. ECM under heater core passenger side near floor. Didn't remove it because it doesn't look damaged nor any rust or water signs on it. So, let me check the internal pump on one tank and see how that goes...but Im real curious about the magnetizing of the external fuel pump. The pump sat in the metal holder bracket under the van with some cheap piece of rubber laying between the holder and the pump (albeit not that good). I have the original rubber sleeve that goes around the pump which I will place on it before I reinstall it. But any clue on the magnet thing?

Old 03-13-2011, 11:00 AM

ok, being ignorant regarding electricity and magnets I don't need to ask that about the magnet issue.