General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Ford windstar vibration and loss of power

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2016, 05:56 PM
Default Ford windstar vibration and loss of power

Hey guys I have a 2003 ford windstar 3.8L and I'm having a few issues.

First is in park or N the van idles close to 1000rpms and vibrates, I don't think it's the mounts since it doesn't do it driving around or under hard acceleration or braking.

From what I was reading online it can be the harmonic balancer, coil pack or a vacuum leak. Any ideas?

Other problem is when I'm full throttle the van cuts out around 4-5k rpms for a second or two then jerks and goes. It also makes a intake sucking noise from the IAC when it haopens.

I've changed the oil, oil filter, spark plugs, IAC, air filter and cabin filter. Intake manifold gaskets and isolator bolts.

Old 02-03-2016, 08:32 PM

is the CEL on and/or is it misfiring? This could be a root cause of both complaints. Also, are ALL the vacuum lines conected to the intake correctly; I KNOW what a pain these are to get on, and they are easily oil soaked and enlarged and will not stay on, resulting in a large intake leak and these problems.
These engines did ave a lot of problems, but check the easy stufff first. then let us know whats up.

Old 02-03-2016, 11:01 PM

Originally Posted by greasemark
is the CEL on and/or is it misfiring? This could be a root cause of both complaints. Also, are ALL the vacuum lines conected to the intake correctly; I KNOW what a pain these are to get on, and they are easily oil soaked and enlarged and will not stay on, resulting in a large intake leak and these problems.
These engines did ave a lot of problems, but check the easy stufff first. then let us know whats up.
No Check engine light. No misfiring.

I have not gone over any vacuum hoses yet. I will be doing a smoke test tomorrow and double checking each vacuum hose.

I wonder if it is a vacuum leak that is also affecting the higher rpms. I'm changing the fuel filter tomorrow also.

Old 02-04-2016, 11:05 AM

Oh its really sad to heard about you victor. Please update us !!

Old 02-04-2016, 06:17 PM

When you did the isolator bolts, did you also replace the 6 port gaskets and clean out the EGR ports? The vacuum hose that's prone to popping off is in the rr of the lower intake, under the cowl. You can usually reach back there and feel it to see if its on.
THe idling would point to a vacuum leak, and the pcv hose in the front valve cover right in the center can leak as well (sometimes it's so obvious that I've missed it.)
Check it out and let us know.