General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Geometry- Bent and Broken Rocker Arm Studs

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2010, 02:06 AM
Default Geometry- Bent and Broken Rocker Arm Studs

I'm looking for some help with an issue that i'm having. I have a 289 with 351w heads. Heads were shaved down slightly including the surface where the valve springs sit. I have Comp Cam roller tip rockers and they keep bending/ breaking the rocker studs off. You can see where they are binding on the studs and leaving "wear" marks. I am using the standard size push rod. I pulled the heads and put some 302 heads on it with the torque down type rockers and have no problems, except for floating valves, but that's not the issue with the Windsor heads. The studs were pinned when they were pulling. I took the heads in to get the studs replaced from 3/8 to 7/16 screw in, and the guy (prominent engine builder) just replaced the messed up ones. I put the heads back on and the replaced studs would unscrew themselves, loctite being of no apparent use. On top of them backing out, others (3/8) bent/broke. I pulled the heads back off and took them to another place (prominent race engine builder) and they replaced all the studs with Arp 7/16" thread in type. I would like to get an idea whats going on before putting the heads back on as to not seriously wreck something.

Common sense would tell me that since the rocker arm sits higher off the head, the angles are going to be different, thus the issue?? The comp cam arms are adjusted like stock sbc are, and not torqued down to the head. I'm thinking i need to get longer pushrods. Any ideas?