General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

HELP~PINTO!

Old 08-21-2005, 04:18 AM
Default HELP~PINTO!

Hello~ I'm new to this forum. I just bought a 1976 Pinto...and appearantly no one online are talking about Pintos (they're not too glamourous...hehehee).
I'm planning on restoring it, and wonders if anyone has some pointers. For starters, I wanted to know where I can find the specs on the car. All I know is that its a 4 cylinder....and....thats it. Hahaha....
So...any tips would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks a bunch.
xoxo
Punkass

Old 08-21-2005, 02:01 PM
Default RE: HELP~PINTO!

Well, good question, Pinto's kinda got some weak points, ( ie. if your hit from the rear its been found they like to EXPLODED) do to the fuel tank having no protection . So they kinda fell outta favor. As far as info I would suggest you do a search on the web--- PINTO , an see what you get.,,. Iam sure there is a PINTO CLUB out there somewhere. I had one for a few yrs . just as a beater car . I liked it got great fuel milage . An never left me walking !!!! There was suppose to be an update repair on the fuel tanks on them !!!!, But hey WELCOME to the board an stick around . BY the way that 4 cyl. was one of the toughest eng. Ford ever made an there still in production till this day , So that should make you feel better .

Old 08-21-2005, 03:47 PM

wow...thanks.
it does drive real well...just thought i could use something a little more powerful. but...maybe ill look into that engine. and ofcourse that tank...holy****!!! explode? is that an exaggeration or....welll.....now im a lil worried

Old 08-21-2005, 09:00 PM

Just type PINTO on any search engine , You will find info on them blowing up from rear end crashes, Or ask any ole times that knows car , Like I said they were suppose to offeer a fix for them , Your is probaly been done , As the yrs. pass more an more older cars come back to life , I saw a PINTO SURFER WAGON , just the other day , I even notied here in the forum, Also Mercury offered one that was called a BOBCAT, Same Thing as The PINTO, they were a non frills , cheap base line car , Offered to lure the American Market away from the the IMPORTS., I thought they were very reliable an a fun car to drive . Any questions you got come on back ....[sm=gears.gif]

Old 08-22-2005, 03:20 PM

Think you need to get rearended at a pretty good speed for it to explode. All makes had to put the tank under the car after '70. No more tanks as the trunk, think soon after no more rear fuel fillers too or tanks in the cab of them old trucks