General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Help! 4x4 stuck

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2009, 10:34 AM
Default Help! 4x4 stuck

My truck is stuck in 4hi and I've been searching how to get it back to aw4d. It seems to be an electrical issue to me. If you've had this problem or have suggestions on what to check or do, Please my wife wants her truck and I really can't afford the dealer.
Before I ever messed with the truck, it was in awd. I got stuck so I shifted (per manual directions) then 4x4 lit up so I pulled out of the mud and got on firm ground. When I tried to go back to awd the 4x4 started blinking and stayed this way, all 30 miles back home. The speedo was reading 90 mph when I was only doing about 30.
I have read Threads and have received suggestions. This is what I have tried so far.
Trying switch in neutral, with and without brake pedal depressed, also running and not running. I've tried removing 104 fuse out, then back in, I've tried disconnecting the battery, and reconnecting 15 min. later. I removed the transfer switch motor which has three plugs and a single brown wire, cleaned the little sensors inside the transfer case that are connected to switch motor and reinstalled, I have raised the front off the ground repeated all the above except the switch motor thing. I have checked all fuses inside the cab, (no power at #20) which by owners manual say it goes to audio (not radio) air suspension system (which is not on my truck) and GEM.
I 'm no electrician, not even close but to me it seems to be an electrical problem because since I have done all this the little switch near center panel doesn’t light up to tell me what selection I chose (awd) (4x4) (4low) or even when I turn on the running lights. The dash 4x4 doesn’t blink anymore or even light when I start the truck but Low range still does.
Switch seems to have no current (removed plug on switch & looked for current with 12v tester, nothing,) I picked up a switch from a jyard but no results maybe no good either. Does the transfer switch motor supply the current to the switch on panel? I picked up one of those also, but might not be any good.
Is there anyway to check switch motor or awd 4x4 4l switch? or any suggestions ? I've been told to check ABS sensors but don’t know their location. I been told to check vacuum system, And I will, but I think it's electric. I'm Lost!
Sorry for the long thread

Old 12-31-2009, 11:21 AM

sorry; I have a 1999 Eddie Bauer Expedition 4X4, 5.4 liter with the AWD, 4H, and 4L switch

Old 12-31-2009, 01:25 PM

unbolt the 4x4 motor. it has 3 10mm bolts remove it then turn the switch from awd to 4x4 high and see if the motor turns ( will take 2 people) if it does then see if you can turn the cam that comes out of transfer case (will take some effort).

Old 12-31-2009, 05:36 PM
Default Thanks

Thanks for the reply
I will try that first thing in the morning
If it doesn't turn what do you think?
Another question
were are my vacume solenoids?
They are not on the fire wall passenger side behind the battery
like I've seen in searches, where would they have put mine
I picked up 3 switch motors from a junk yard
The main 2 wires yellow & orange going in the motor
I put hot & ground to each with no results
I'm just trying anything I can
where could I find the wiring diagrams for this truck
Thank you for all your help

Old 01-01-2010, 06:16 PM
Default still working

today I unhooked the shift motor from the transfer case
jacked up the front of the truck
One inside the truck one under and the switch motor does nothing when you turn the switch
but I was able to turn the rod in the transfer case
changing the truck to AWD
I moved the truck out of the garage with the shift motor not attached
she was turning only the back wheels
But I can not get the shift motor to turn so it can't be put back together
I don't believe I have power to the shift motor so replacing it won't solve the problem
from the rust on the outside I do believe the shift motor is bad
The other problem is ordering from Napa only has 1 wire harness
I have 2 extra like sensors attached to the shift motor
I called the Ford dealer he could not see a pic of the motor & could not tell me if it came with the sensors & wires
I'm going to order a shift motor
But how do I find out if it's getting current

Old 01-01-2010, 07:54 PM

those year models were bad about getting water in the GEM module (wich is actually the fust panel under the dash). this is a common occurance the winshield will leak in the corner. before you start repalcing the shift motor. does it have any codes in it? if you dont have a scanner if you go to auto zone they will scan it for you. this way we can start somewhere before we just repalce parts. to answer your question i believe you have to swap the pins out of the connector from the transfer case motor to the new one. not sure i havent done one in a while. you should be able to tie up the motor so you can drive the vehicle. if yopu unplug it and scan the pcm with the motor unplugged it will give a false reading.

Old 01-02-2010, 04:45 AM

Thanks
Auto Zone said they could only see what was causing the check engine light to light
I will take it there to be scanned

Old 01-23-2010, 04:38 AM

Well it has been a long process but still not fixed
I took it to the dealer
Very nice well knowledgeable service man told me
The front Hall speed sensor was not registering & charged me $85
That is one of the 2 sensors attached to the shift motor
The reason for these 2 sensors is
To let the torque on demand know the front & rear axle speeds
If the 2 are 2 miles per hour different the torque on demand is engaged
I changed the speed sensor but no luck still
But I could hear it change gears when switch AWD, 4H, 4L; FINALLY
So I cut the brown wire from the shift motor
Which is the one that operates the torque on demand
This still did not work
I jacked the front of the truck up & switched AWD, 4H, 4L
That worked until I went down the road she flashed 4x4 & was in 4 wheel drive again
The light on my 4x4 switch in the dash has not been working the entire time
So I second guessed the mechanic & took the switch out & cleaned it
Put it back in
Drove the truck it worked!!!!!!
Remember you must clear the truck each step by unhooking the battery for about 15 min
Now I realized the brown wire was still cut
So I spiced it back still the same problem again
Well I took the truck back to the nice service man at Ford
It’s all up to him now
I’ll let you know what is next