General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

IAT sensor location

Old 05-21-2009, 10:13 AM
Question IAT sensor location

what i need to know is whether or not my 90 festiva has an IAT sensor on it and if so where it is located. my haynes manual only shows the location of one for a 94 and up model but not for my year. the only sensors that i have been able to find on the intake anywhere are the VAF and TPS

Old 05-22-2009, 11:40 PM
Default IAT Sensor location

IAT You sure you don't mean IAC idle air control motor if so its somewhere on your throttle body!!! It will be a cylindrical usually aluminum and tin held directly on the throttle body by two 3/8 headed screws!!! What is your problem??? What is the car doing to make you suspect this part?? The IAC motor is a valve that controls the air entering your engine at idle when the throttle plate in the throttle body is completely closed it's basically a bypass until you turn the ignition off then it closes!! So if your having trouble starting the engine or very rough idling this is likely the cause!!! Otherwise if it is IAT it sounds like Idle air Temp witch is usually somewhere on your cold air intake the section between your air filter and throttle body 99% of the time!!! Tell me what haynes is saying about this sensor I/E what its for and what its supposed to do and I'll try to help ya!!!

Old 05-22-2009, 11:59 PM

Hey me again Your TPS is Throttle Position Sensor it is located on the throttle body with 2 screws usually Philips headed its on the opposite side as the throttle cable spooler, it tells the computer where your throttle plate is located in other words how far open it is so it can calculate the fuel injector open duration at that given air intake The throttle body is located on the top section of your intake manifold usually to one side or another follow your cold air intake tube plastic tube that runs between your air filter and throttle body it connects directly to your throttle body if its IAT its Probably built into your MAF sensor Mass air flow on your cold air intake and the TPS and IAC will be on the throttle body itself The IAC will have an electrical connector with 2 small wires comming out the TPS Agai will be directly oposite the throttle cable spooler on other side of throttle body usually with a 3 or 4 wire connector plugged into it!!! Again give me haynes definition for that IAT and i'll try to help ya!!!

Old 05-25-2009, 10:56 AM

yes i know what the throttlebdy and TPS sensor are and where they are located. i know enough about EFI engines to know that all the stuff is about. what i am refering too is the IAT Intake Air Temperature sensor. i just want to know if the '90 festivas had them and where they would be located. my car doesnt have a cold air intake system on it. its just an airbox with a flat filter. theres not really any issue i just need to know if my car has the sensor and if so where it is located.
a while back i bought a power module for my car and it said it had to be connected to the IAT sensor to work properly. but it also said that if the car doesnt have an IAT sensor then it can be connected to the ECT sensor. the tech at the company i bought it from has been arguing with me over and over about whether my car has an IAT sensor or not. the place he said it would be located at on my car does not exist on my year of car. and according to the haynes manual on my car it is located on the inlet for the throttlebody on a section between the throttlebody and the air intake tube from the airbox. but thats only on '94 and newer cars. it does not tell if or where it is on a 90. that i know about there were three different types of engines that came in festivas and mine does not have that lil section on it. i do all the work on my car so i would know if it had a section on the intake that looked like that.

Old 05-25-2009, 11:49 PM

Do you have a North American model or a European model? The European model didn't require an IAT sensor. Just the North American model to meet EPA requirements. If it's a North Americal model, the sensor should be located in the air cleaner and have 2 small hoses attatched to it.

It should look like this: http://www.autozone.com/autozone/cat...questid=352176

Old 05-26-2009, 11:20 AM

i think mine may have been manufactured in korea but im not sure cause i havent seen anything that looks like that part on my intake

Old 05-27-2009, 02:54 AM

All of the Festivas are imports. You may have one that slipped by without the EPA required sensor. Then again, printed material isn't always correct and the 1990 just didn't have one.

Old 05-29-2009, 09:23 AM
Default IAT sensor location

thanks for the picture. i didnt yet dismatel my gauge cluster so i cannot compare a digital gauge speed sensor with a mecanical gauge one.

another question, how may rpm does the speed sensor or the cable at 35mph or at anothe speed ?
_______
=== XRumer 5.0 Palladium RULEZ! ===