General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

mechanical selector valve delete procedure

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2011, 08:17 AM
Default mechanical selector valve delete procedure

90FordE150 club wagon 5.0EFI dual tank 110k. Looking for information on deleting the mechanical selector valve/reservoir. That valve isn't working properly and Ford wants $292 for it while after market spots want around $50 for one that is electrical (apparently no one carries the original piece except Ford).
So, what I want to do is remove the selector valve and run ONLY on the front tank. I'm pretty much ok as far as removing the front tank hoses from that selector valve and running those hoses (one to the external fuel pump and the other to the return line) where they need to go, but I am stuck as far as if I need to remove the electrical selector switch under the dash or can I leave it plugged in and just switched to the front tank? Can I remove the hoses from the selector valve for the back tank and just plug those hoses? What about the gas in the rear tank....does it need to vent or can I just close the tank off from the hoses with the only "air" it's receiving being the filler hose. I ask that because I had a can of gas with lid and vent closed and one day it leaked out from the can because it was not venting so does the gas tank I plan on plugging the hoses too need to vent? any advise would be appreciated

Attached Thumbnails mechanical selector valve delete procedure-ford-mechanical-selector-valve-5.jpg